You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iOS 13.1 - cannot open .afphoto document on iPad 12.9

Hi All

Having just installed iOS 13.1, I'm having the same problem I had when trying the beta version. I cannot open .afphoto files stored in Documents on the iPad 12.9. The files seem to be there (including the name and size) in Documents, but not their thumbnail images. Clicking on the file has no effect. With the previous iOS, the thumbnails were displayed, and clicking on them opened the file in Affinity Photo.

I can save new .afphoto files to Documents in iOS 13.1, but again, cannot open them.

Any ideas? This is really frustrating. 

Many thanks 

I meant to say the Files folder. 

I can't believe more people aren't having this problem. Everything worked perfectly with iOS 12.

Opening the Files Folder 'On My iPad', I see the Affinity Photo folder. Clicking on this opens the .afphoto files within. But unlike with iOS 12, there is no thumbnail, and the files cannot be opened by clicking on them.

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

Thank you summersara!

At last someone has answered my question - it's taken three months+ to get an answer to this question which I first asked way back in May.

I still can't believe how unintuitive this 'solution' is. It's still very annoying that you can't see the thumbprints. 

6 minutes ago, DWright said:

Thank you for the clarification this issue has been logged with our developers in the meantime the files can be opened from Photo using the open from cloud or import from cloud

Ah ha. That is indeed true. (I tried saving the files to Cloud, but they are displayed in exactly the same way as when stored on the iPad, and can't be opened by clicking).  

So I now know, at last, that I can open the saved files if they are stored in the Cloud, as long as this is done from within within Affinity Photo. BUT the files are still displayed without their thumbnail images when accessed in this way! AND I don't want to store files in the Cloud!

I still find it unbelievable that the issue which I raised so long ago has not been resolved. 

Same, IPad Pro IpadIOS 13.1.  I had a working Shortcut that would open IOS Photos in Affinity Photo.  IOS 13 killed that process.  I can open from iPad Affinity Photo app from Photos.  

A1EBC51E-DF8B-425D-AEDA-F56DB8BE7119.jpeg

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Reason it's so important to me is that once things get complicated with the photocollages I'm making (and they do get very complicated, with very large files, and numerous layers and 'duplicate' images) there is a tendency for AP slow up and/or to crash. (It may be that the program is more stable with iOS 13?)

The only reliable way of not losing work when things get to this stage is by saving a copy, closing AP completely (including any files saved to 'internal' memory), then reopening the file afresh from Files.

Don't want to sound too negative though, as AP for iPad is a fantastic program which has made the previously impossible possible!

In IOS 12 all versions, I could open a file in Lightroom, export it, then choose Affinity Photo.  That is gone in IOS 13.1.  Affinity Photo is no longer in the add on list for that actions menu.  It just is not there.  Using iPad Pro 12.9.  Like others in this thread, the thumbnails are missing too as well as I can import only from IOS Photo.

13 hours ago, Sbrent40 said:

That is gone in IOS 13.1.  Affinity Photo is no longer in the add on list for that actions menu.

In Lightroom on iPad I tap Share icon, tap either Share again or Open In (either will work)and select max resolution then Share sheet opens showing Affinity apps. They were down the bottom of the list but I tapped edit and moved them to the top.

DE6FB4AA-C859-47D4-AA11-50CB2F79DC64.png

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:24 AM, Cecil said:

I had a working Shortcut that would open IOS Photos in Affinity Photo.  IOS 13 killed that process.  I can open from iPad Affinity Photo app from Photos.  

I had one as well. Now when I select a photo in photos library I get the Affinity apps appearing on the Share sheet. I couldn't open .afphoto file from Documenys app in 13.1 then I edited the shortcut I had from 12.4 to include Files. Now in Documents app I get Affinity photo option for open in. 
EDIT: Still doesn't open PDF or .afxxxxx files but images and svg's now open correctly. 

0FFB3F1D-04A7-494A-BCDA-6477A9663590.png

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

7 hours ago, DM1 said:

I had one as well. Now when I select a photo in photos library I get the Affinity apps appearing on the Share sheet. I couldn't open .afphoto file from Documenys app in 13.1 then I edited the shortcut I had from 12.4 to include Files. Now in Documents app I get Affinity photo option for open in. 

0FFB3F1D-04A7-494A-BCDA-6477A9663590.png

I will modify my shortcut today.  As you, Affinity Photo was listed in the share sheet and worked prior to update.  I actually expected this, as the Shortcut app was modified 13.1.  I’m actually impressed that Affinity works well with 13.1.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Hi Cecil, it’s still not quite right. It now opens images and svg files from any share sheet but it will not open PDF or .af files. I have listed Files, Images and PDFs in the shortcut Activity range but to no avail.

I think Apple/Affinity will work out any “small” problems that resulted in a mayor iPadIOS upgrade.

i notice when I open some threads, with multiple pages of replies, page one opens instead of the last page reply.  Not always, but annoying.  I always accept this as updates seem to get fixed, after members post unexpected experiences or problems.  Hats off to Affinity staff and developers team members, as well as members that express these shortfalls in a positive light.

Cecil 

11 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Hi Cecil, it’s still not quite right. It now opens images and svg files from any share sheet but it will not open PDF or .af files. I have listed Files, Images and PDFs in the shortcut Activity range but to no avail.

BTW, a call to Apple support, after I authorized permission, signed on my iMac and iPad, walked me though and fixed several problems.  If unable to fix, they assigned a follow up work order number that made it easier to reference additional calls and status.  This is the mayor reason I prefer Apple products.

Cecil 

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2019 at 3:34 PM, DWright said:

Thank you for the clarification this issue has been logged with our developers in the meantime the files can be opened from Photo using the open from cloud or import from cloud

Hi DWright, any progress on enabling thumbnails in the 'Browse' window showing .afphoto files in ios13 (my post above)? I can't believe this is a difficult fix, and I'm really missing this functionality. Many thanks, Piro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, DWright said:

Hi @Piro,

This issue is still logged with our developers and I am not aware of when this fix will be released.

Hello again DWright, sorry to be a pain, but is there any movement on this? It is incredibly frustrating when a valuable software feature disappears from an updated version, and then to have no information on if/when the feature is likely to be restored.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:02 AM, Piro said:

Hi DWright, any progress on enabling thumbnails in the 'Browse' window showing .afphoto files in ios13 (my post above)? I can't believe this is a difficult fix, and I'm really missing this functionality. Many thanks, Piro

Thumbnails of .af files? This is working for me. 

25BECBF7-97F1-4B12-B9DF-3652DC77358F.png

Thanks DM1. This really is the most bizarre coincidence, as this morning the thumbnails are back (as in your post above), for the first time in months! 

So thanks also AP for the fix, though I don't know quite how this has happened. :)

12 hours ago, Piro said:

though I don't know quite how this has happened. :)

Pretty sure it’s the 1.8 update that fixed it.