You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Forum] Why do I keep getting told about cookies?

Yesterday, or maybe the day before, when coming to the forum website I started to get a ‘pop-up’ at the bottom of my browser window telling me about “Important Information”. I’ve pressed the “I Accept” button a few times but I keep getting the same box popping up every time I visit (and sometimes when I log out). The pop-up goes away while I’m logged in.
I’m running Firefox 69.0.1 (on Windows 10 Home) with the Adblock Plus (no items blocked), NoScript (serif.com is trusted) and Privacy Badger (no trackers detected) plug-ins - amongst some others.
Is there something I can do to stop the pop-up?

Hi Garry,

It could be one of many things; cookies aren't set to save on your machine within your browser settings, Anti Virus could be blocking your cookie preferences, etc.

Have you tried testing with a different web browser, just to see if this fixes things for you?

Adam

Do you have your browser set to automatically delete browsing history, cookies, etc.?  Or perhaps manually delete your browsing history regularly?  That could be why the message returns.

Try adding the below filter rule to the Adblock Plus custom filters section (I don't know what it's called in Adblock Plus, however it's called 'My Filters' in uBlock Origin, so it will likely be called something similar).

forum.affinity.serif.com###elGuestTerms

I also get this with Firefox, Chrome, MS-Edge, but Edge Developper Edition does not show this behaviour.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Thanks for the replies.

I had a look and:
* Cookies are not set to be deleted when the browser is closed (I currently have six cookies in Firefox for forum.affinity.serif.com);
* I can’t find anything in the Anti Virus about deleting cookies (I have plenty so I’m assuming they’re not getting deleted);
* Cookies are only blocked by Firefox for “Third-party Trackers” (whichever they are);
* I’ve never manually deleted any cookie or browser history since I got the machine a couple of years ago;
* Using Chrome – 77.0.3865.90 – (no cookie/security-related extensions) I went to the forum page, pressed Accept, closed Chrome, re-opened Chrome and went back to the forum page, and I got the same message that I’d already accepted;
* Using Edge – latest version from updates, whatever that is – (no extensions) I went to the forum page, pressed Accept, closed Edge, re-opened Edge and went back to the forum page, and I got the same message that I’d already accepted.

However, I told Adblock Plus to not block ads on forum.affinity.serif.com then accepted the message, then went to another non-related page and came back to the forums... and the message didn’t pop up again (even though Adblock Plus said there were no ads blocked in the first place).

So, I kept getting the pop-up message while there were no ads to block but now that no ads are getting blocked I don’t get the pop-up. Sounds a bit strange to me but I don’t really understand these things well enough.
Whether any of this is the fault of Adblock Plus or the website (or both, or neither) I have no idea.

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone. It looks like all is well now.

You mentioned earlier that you don't see the problem while logged in. Are you using a computer you own? If so, perhaps you should just stay logged in by ticking the "Remember me" box on the login screen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

It shows up for all users who are not logged in. Logging in stops this appearing. I doubt you can stop it appearing if you always log out.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Oh well, if it’s the way things are then I’ll just go along with it.
No doubt I’ll get used to it over time.
Cheers.
P.S. Walt: While I always only log-in on one machine which I own, I sometimes want to visit without logging in first. I sometimes forget what I’ve read so it’s nice to be able to browse without ‘clearing the unread flags’.