You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird transparency data inside an imported JPG?

hi all i have received a jpg from a publisher and when i open the file in Designer or Photo it shows transparency masks...but i can't seem to see the complete image - the weirdest thing I have ever come across... 

Screengrab to show you the opened file in Photo

image.thumb.png.cb37fb3fc9c265b4eb14dc56d0fc8c41.png

• Staff

Hi Smooo67,

Looks like this JPG has possibly been saved with clipping Path/mask, which is why you can only see part of the image.  If you can attach the JPG i can see why we are opening it in that manner.  

But you should be able to select the Masks on the layers panel and delete them, which will then show the entire image :) 

You’re welcome.
It’s my (limited) understanding that the JPEG standard doesn’t include clipping masks as such but some software – E.g. Photoshop – can include that sort of information – including guides and maybe some other things – in the metadata which can be transferred to other software. However, this metadata may not be preserved by some software so it’s best not to rely on it.
My guess is that Photo tries to give the user as much of the included information/functionality as it can, just to be nice.
P.S. TIFFs can have ‘proper’ clipping masks which is why I mentioned them earlier.