You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export different layers for each slice

It would be very useful if the export persona allowed us to choose what layers were exported for each slice.

I do complicated graphs that build up from simpler ideas. So it is useful to put the basic graph on one layer, some enhancements on another layer, and perhaps point out some specific features on a third layer. I then want to export this as three separate images: Just layer 1, Layers 1+2, and Layers 1+3. At the moment the only way I've found to do this is to manually change the visibility of the layers and the name of the exported file and then export one file. This process needs to be repeated three times in my example.

I can also imagine that icon designers would find this useful. They could have a layer with the basic icon and then other layers with overlays (check marks, or plusses etc). If there was the possibility of selecting which layers were visible for each slice they could set up batch exports for these.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, ipastine said:

It would be very useful if the export persona allowed us to choose what layers were exported for each slice.

I do complicated graphs that build up from simpler ideas. So it is useful to put the basic graph on one layer, some enhancements on another layer, and perhaps point out some specific features on a third layer. I then want to export this as three separate images: Just layer 1, Layers 1+2, and Layers 1+3. At the moment the only way I've found to do this is to manually change the visibility of the layers and the name of the exported file and then export one file. This process needs to be repeated three times in my example.

I can also imagine that icon designers would find this useful. They could have a layer with the basic icon and then other layers with overlays (check marks, or plusses etc). If there was the possibility of selecting which layers were visible for each slice they could set up batch exports for these.

Did you try placing different artboards on top of each other? So in fact you treat an artboard as a layer. I believe that should do exactly what you're after:

in the design mode you see all artboards on top of eachother to design, and in the export persona they are different 'layers' to export.

Not ideal, but maybe it helps for now?

• 7 months later...

I'm missing this functionality, too. I would be really helpfull if it was marked for each slice which layers are visible. Something like "layer compositions" in Photoshop. Therefore it should be possible to use more than one slice per layer.

For example, I have to design cards for a board game. Each part is to be punched out of paper and need a bleeding. The clients wants to see the design as it looks after punching (without the bleed). Thus I export two versions: the complete one with bleeding and one as it looks later when used in the game. Or most parts of a cards design are the same for lez's say 5 cards, but the background changes.

It's quite anoying to switch the layer visibility for each export as there are often 40 and more cards to export. Each variation of the design leads to a new export round. It would be very helpfull if it was adjusted once which layers should be visible per slice and after that one could export all cards in one rush.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, Friksel said:

Did you try placing different artboards on top of each other? So in fact you treat an artboard as a layer. I believe that should do exactly what you're after:

in the design mode you see all artboards on top of eachother to design, and in the export persona they are different 'layers' to export.

Not ideal, but maybe it helps for now?

Maybe I overlooked something, but artboards are a completely different story in my understanding. You cannot set an object visible in one artboard and invisible in another. You would have to copy most objects to several artboards, but the idea is to avoid exactly that (for this no artboards are needed, could be done with layers). Besides artboards are not present in Photo for example.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

+1

I really didn't need slices at all in my projects so far.

However, what I always need is layer states.

I use Photo and Designer for architecture and turning on and off layers allows me to show alternative versions of the spaces. Different colors, different objects, different lighting... All images should be the same size, but featuring different stuff which is usually organized through layers. As we evolve the project these layers evolve, so having to repeat all the process of exporting and naming each new version of the image is tedious.

@JQL

In some cases in may help to use artboards for this. You can arrange the different states of your images on different artboards, and give the artboards matching names. Elements that are repeated and used on every artbord can be arranged as symbols in Designer, so that changes on one artboard changes them on all other ones.

At least for a project with gamecards this worked quite well for me. It's not the same as using layer compositions and exporting them as files. On the other hand, you can see all you variations at a glance, without switching through all composition states.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

+1 for this feature
I have a similar use case for such a feature.
In MS Expression Design 4 you have a feature called "segments" (I know this word is used otherwise in the area of vector graphics). These segments store their area together with the currently activated layers. You can freely define segments and everything visible through the area of this segment will be exported to a predifined image format. In the export dialogue its possible to simply click "Export all segments" and every segment you have defined in the document will be exported with one click. This is useful when you generate several views of one and the same design. And when you change something, you can export all parts with one click.
I had a short time trying this out in my test period of the Affinity Designer, but as far as I saw this was not possible with slices. I don't always have parts organized in a grid like manner. The partial views I'm talking about can overlap and have specific layers visible and others hidden.

I also described it in the following forum post:

• 4 weeks later...

+1

Having a feature like this (and/or some sort of standalone layer presets) would be really helpful when exporting multiple versions of a logo or illustration. Sometimes I need to hide all my fill colors to export a black and white version. Being able to turn color/fill layers on and off without having to do it manually through 50+ layers and multiple groups each time would be a HUGE time saver.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes please. It seems that if you create a slice from a layer, it's constrained to this layer, and if you create it manually, it includes everything, but there seems to be no way to control this after the fact, convert one into the other or have finer control over which layers are exported. For starters, I think at least allowing to convert a slice from being layer-bound to being layer-independent and back (by picking a layer that the slice shoud be bound to) would be a quick win.