You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make Gulshat in A. Designer?

• Staff

Hi Alexey Gamov,

Welcome to the forums :)

There aren't any dedicated tools for this I'm afraid the best way to do it would be to draw it by hand using either the Pen or Brush Tool.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

As Callum says, this sort of thing is only possible in Designer if you do it manually.
My top attached example was created by repeatedly duplicating a curve, giving it a larger stroke width, adding a pressure curve, expanding the stroke, breaking the resultant shape at the ends, resetting the stroke and fill colours and then removing the unused portion of the curve.
My bottom attached example was produced by duplicating the curve, resizing it in the vertical axis and re-aligning it with the original.
Neither is what you want but they might give you some ideas.

Designer_cYDV4iFRFx.png

+1 for Flamepainter

Screen-Shot-2019-09-25-at-18-01-42.png

There is an issue with this type of pattern, in so much as, it will not export to vectors in the style displayed, it reports that SVG does not support line mode. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A quick manual example.

Method. Use pen and snap to grid to make regular straight line, all sharp nodes. Duplicate. Select all, switch to node tool. Select columns, and click the transform box widget. Reshape node columns. Select all, and turn to smooth nodes.

553277693_ScreenShot2019-09-26at6_56_21AM.thumb.jpg.6e4b1dbbf6c2cba53cfebb9547c43b33.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The defacto Guilloche creator for Mac is Excentro but again it's pricey, I don't there is anything better on any OS to be honest, take a bit of getting used to but you can make some funky shapes.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-26-at-17-59-40.png

This is a basic Guilloche: Guilloche red spots.pdf

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

gdenby’s technique can produce some lovely results without much work.
Well worth experimenting with.
My second example uses an Acrylic brush and the Subtract bend mode.
My third example uses all kinds or semi-randomly chosen effects (not particularly useful but interesting).
My fourth example uses a bitmap stroke fill, a Gaussian Blue effect and an Add blend mode.

waves1.png

waves2.png

waves3.png

waves4.png

23 hours ago, GarryP said:

I had a bit of a hard time de-cyphering the instructions but once I figured it out it works quite well and is something well-worth experimenting with.
Thanks for sharing that.
Definitely something that is calling out for its own permanent tutorial with a more verbose explanation of each step.

+1 : Verbose explanation would be very much appreciated !

I've been sort of busy the past few days. Might have more time on the weekend. For now, some notes.

The method starts w a straight line made up of evenly spaced nodes, a dozen or more. The line is duplicated in parallel.

If all the resulting straight line curves are selected, and one switches to the node tool, one should see a grid of nodes. I prefer sharp nodes, because when the lines are bent, I find it easier to select columns of nodes connected by straight sections.

Using the node tool, select a column of nodes from all the parallel lines. Then switch to the node tool selection box. This makes it easy to rotate, shift, skew and perform various transforms on the column. One may then, as desired, proceed thru other columns until all may have been twisted, expanded, contracted, etc. Then turn all the nodes into smooth.

FWIW, one can apply a tapering pressure curve to one of the lines, copy the style to the rest. Then the series can be broken, making portions of the lines either wispy or thicker.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I forgot : I had a look at that Excentro app: There's also a lite version for Mac, 
it's available as demo, limited to "not saving", but you can export the file as pdf,
which is perfectly editable in Aff Designer, tried it out, it works.
Steep learning curve though, your method is much, much easier.
Also, I doubt whether this lite version will be useable in the new Catalina upgrade of OSX.

Anyway again : thanks a bunch for the instruction gif !

I wondered the same @Fixx

Waiting for some files to back up so had a play with Excentro, made a mono drippy fishnet affair. Cup of Yorkshire tea, a slice or two of toast and marmalade and the time to doodle, it's all very therapeutic.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-28-at-09-11-53.png

Drippy Fishnets.pdf

10 hours ago, PixelPest said:

I still use Inkscape for that purpose

I was searching the 0.92 InkScape' splashscreen for the same reason, it's a good example, and since we can copy-paste directly for it to AD, it's a complementary app.

inkscape_spashscreen.jpg.7ab6027d5ca966bcabb31ba05410836f.jpg

And a small video about how it's done found in those comments.

Edited by Wosven
Video link added.