You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sky replacement to spruce up an old 35 mm slide

jmwellborn

Just to prove that even fossils can learn!   The 35 mm slide view (top) of the chapel roof at the Air Force Academy in Colorado was scanned several years ago and lay forlornly in all its glum grandeur in a "some day this photo needs fixing file."   Below is my amateur attempt at a sky replacement using Photo.   

1901752607_chapelatAirForceAcademy.thumb.jpg.8abdfb1a0842eae9ad33f9e9dc546545.jpg 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Nice work JMWellborn and so true, I have a number of (well thousands actually) of such forlorn 35mm film slides from far far ago, which I scanned a while ago now. I find getting the tone between new sky and old photo a task to match, I need to study the videos yet again :) 

Recently I did a sky replacement on a scan of a very faded photograph of my father in law with his beloved springer spaniel with them sat on a hill, the sky was around the top of both dog and person which was very painstaking to select for the mask. 

I won't share it as he died recently and it seems disrespectful to share it here, the final picture was used at his committal and his thanks giving. However the point here is always keep old stuff, even if it seems too battered to be of any use .. one day it might be the only visual connection to a beloved past place, event, person or pet and Affinity Photo can bring it back to life ... being old has to have some plus points :D 

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

Nice sky. In the old AP video, there was one showing how to use vector to enhance some parts of a building… I can't find it, but it would be the logical step with this photo!

That would be nice to see.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

• Staff
12 hours ago, Wosven said:

there was one showing how to use vector to enhance some parts of a building

Perhaps one of the following? :)
https://player.vimeo.com/video/141890812/ & https://player.vimeo.com/video/143014223/

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan :D 

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Not so amateurish after all.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff

All of these videos have since been 'hidden' when we released our latest set here, however MEB kindly backed them up for us, and has the full list of 'legacy' tutorials here :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I don't why I haven't played with .... err .... been creative with :D  vectors; a whole new set of possibilities thanks Dan and MEB good work :5_smiley: 

So here is the first gasp, having viewed the tutorials.  Thank you so much @Dan C!   Pen tool, node tool (a lot!), plus gaussian blur, plus nose to the screen.

115240566_airforcechapelfinalsample.thumb.jpg.df1ec3adfa419d75d004568627344382.jpg