You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. If I should create a luminosity selection, can I then take the black and white snapshot and adjust it using curves or levels to target the areas I want to  adjust more specifically. Any help appreciated, I am massively struggling with luminosity masks in AP.

• Staff

Hi Rainon,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
After you create the luminosity selection, click the mask button on the bottom of the layers panel to generate a mask from it. Then apply a levels or curves adjustment to the mask (drag the adjustment layer over the mask's thumbnail in the layers panel until you see a small vertical blue line on the right of the thumbnail to nest the adjustment to the mask) and set the channel dropdown of those adjustments to Alpha. Adjust the curves/levels as you wish.

Hi MEB, 

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to follow your instructions and have attached a photo to show you what has happened. I was hoping to be working on a grey scale mask and am not sure what to do with the mask I have. In PS I can mask a layer and use apply image to give me a grey scale mask, I can use a levels adjustment on that mask to then target the areas I require. I can then dodge and burn on the layer and specifically target areas without dark and bright tones bleeding into each other. Is something like that possible in affinity? 

Thanks very much.             

IMG_20190925_192543229.jpg

Hi @Rainon

Affinity Photo help (F1) :
"Adjustment layers also have mask layer properties. Areas of an adjustment layer can be revealed or hidden in the same way as with a mask layer."

My workflow would be as follow:
CTRL/CMD + ALT + Click to create a luminosity selection.
With the selection active, add a curves adjustment.
Make the adjustments
Click on the little gear icon to open the Blend Options dialog, and apply the effect only to the highlights.

If you wish, you can invert (CTRL+I) the curves adj and then use a white brush to paint the effect back in only were needed.

Hubert

Adjustment layers also have mask layer properties.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

5 hours ago, Rainon said:

Hi MEB, 

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried to follow your instructions and have attached a photo to show you what has happened. I was hoping to be working on a grey scale mask and am not sure what to do with the mask I have. In PS I can mask a layer and use apply image to give me a grey scale mask, I can use a levels adjustment on that mask to then target the areas I require. I can then dodge and burn on the layer and specifically target areas without dark and bright tones bleeding into each other. Is something like that possible in affinity? 

Thanks very much.             

IMG_20190925_192543229.jpg

Hi Rainon.  A few weeks ago, I asked almost the exact same question and received the same advice and ended up with the same results.  Still couldn't adjust the mask.  So I tried the method again when I found this thread and ended up with the same results which you show in your screenshot.  

I'd love to know if there is something we're missing or if there's something not clear in the way we're asking the question, or if Affinity just can't do what we're wanting it to do.  

HVDB Photography (Thank you HVDB) suggests using blend ranges, which can be very useful and I sometimes use, but that's a completely different approach.  Although it works great in some instances I would still like to be able to just adjust a simple luminosity mask.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Waltarus
Link pasted in twice.