You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Not Responding

I've been trying to Rasterise & then Flood Fill a line drawing in Affinity Designer. The dimensions are 5000m x 5000m & the DPI is 300. Thing is that even after I rasterise the drawing (after 3-5 minutes of waiting), if I click 'Copy' let alone attempt to use the Flood Fill tool, the page stops responding. 

I can't even open it & do it in Affinity Photo, I've been trying a bunch of variations over the past 36 hours (this is kinda my job) & now both Affinity programs, Photo/Designer are unbelievably slow regardless of the documents I'm using & are borderline unusable. I've restarted my computer & I have re-downloaded both programs, neither has worked

I have a 2017 iMac with 3.4 Ghz Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4 memory, Radeon Pro 570 4 GB graphics thingy if that helps, everything's updated to current MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

8 hours ago, mattius.m said:

The dimensions are 5000m x 5000m & the DPI is 300.

Is that a typo or do you really mean your document is 5 km on a side?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Even if @mattius.m actually meant 5000 mm or 5 metres, 300 DPI is overkill for anything other than a highly detailed map. 

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi mattius.m :)

I've split your post from the other thread, as this is deserved of it's own post. ( @R C-R& @Alfred you may want to re-follow the post as the split hasn't carried this across)

Could you please confirm the above, is the size of your document 5000m x 5000m?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi mattius.m :)

I've split your post from the other thread, as this is deserved of it's own post. ( @R C-R& @Alfred you may want to re-follow the post as the split hasn't carried this across)

Could you please confirm the above, is the size of your document 5000m x 5000m?

yes thats my bad its a typo, it is only 5000mm

I will create a seperate thread & try to tag you both or link it

edit: wait a sec i think this is now it's own post, dark magic?

23 minutes ago, mattius.m said:

edit: wait a sec i think this is now it's own post, dark magic?

See Dan C's post just before your latest one here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
3 hours ago, mattius.m said:

i don't follow, do i still need to make a seperate post?

You don't need to make a new post, as I've already done this for you

Could you please provide a copy of your file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/yrE9AageCKFlokLn6imE

If you could also open Affinity Designer>Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here, that would certainly be helpful.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

You don't need to make a new post, as I've already done this for you

Could you please provide a copy of your file to the following link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/yrE9AageCKFlokLn6imE

If you could also open Affinity Designer>Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here, that would certainly be helpful.

okay dokay

I've just sent through the doc.

I rasterised the top layer, then i try to use the flood fill. That's when it usually either loads forever or stops responding

• Staff

Thanks for that, I can replicate this behaviour here with our document, but I must say I'm not entirely surprised.

5000mm x 5000mm @ 300DPI is equivalent to roughly 60,000px x 60,000px or a 3,487MP image - Designer has to read and interpret each pixel when using the flood fill tool, and this many calculations at once is likely to take some time.

Equally with an image/document this large, the application has to use excessive amounts of system memory in order to keep up. After rasterising the group and using the flood fill tool once the app is using near 12GB of RAM due to the massive size of the image.

May I ask why you're designing at such a size?

Please note -

Many thanks!