You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashes while deleting multiple objects (layers) at the same time

malayali

Recently I tried to edit an EPS file downloaded from Freepik. I selected around 142 objects and clicked the delete icon. Designer stopped responding immediately. 

screenshot_AD.thumb.png.0aaf5f0641811287663c0c2ae3ff21b9.png

I closed the designer using Task Manager, reopened it and repeated the steps. Designer crashed again!

Linktree | Freebies

Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Affinity Publisher | 1.10.6
Windows 10 Home (64 bit) Version 22H2
Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

• Staff

Hi malayali,

Is this consistently reproducible for you? I had it once after a couple of delete, undo a few times and then selecting the bottom components and deleting those, but couldn't reproduce it again. If you've got 100% reproducible steps would you be able to provide a screen recording that shows the steps you are using to reproduce please?

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi malayali,

Is this consistently reproducible for you? I had it once after a couple of delete, undo a few times and then selecting the bottom components and deleting those, but couldn't reproduce it again. If you've got 100% reproducible steps would you be able to provide a screen recording that shows the steps you are using to reproduce please?

Hi Sean,

I could reproduce it 100%. But it happens at irregular times. Here is the screen-recording as you requested.
Let me know if you need anything else.

Linktree | Freebies

Intel i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30 GHz (4 CPUs) | NVIDIA GeForce 940M | Intel HD Graphics 520 | 16GB RAM

• Staff

Thank you very much for that video - it has been incredibly helpful. It looks like it is happening when you delete that second set of letters and the selection is visible in the Layers Panel. I can reproduce this by dragging a selection marquee around the bottom half of the image, expand the Layer in the Layers Panel and then scrolling to the very bottom of the Layers Panel. when I then press delete it will go to Not Responding.

I will get this passed on to development!

18 minutes ago, Sean P said:

No worries! I forgot to add that if you delete those objects with the actual 'Layer' object collapsed or the Layers Panel displaying the very top then it should work.

Tried that. Yeah, it's working!
So, why this issue only when layers expanded?

Linktree | Freebies

• Staff
Just now, malayali said:

Tried that. Yeah, it's working!
So, why this issue only when layers expanded?

I can't be certain, but I believe it is something to do with the Layers Panel and contents trying to reposition itself. I tried it on a new document with a bunch of 300 rectangles but couldn't reproduce it, so not entirely sure what is so special about the EPS!

I tried a different EPS from Freepik and issue can't be reproduced. So, I wonder whether it's a problem related to the EPS in question.

Linktree | Freebies