You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving Live Filters in TIFF and PSD formats slow in Affinity Photo?

Saving Multiple Live Filters in TIFFs & PSDs Utterly Slow?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. When saving multiple Live Filter layers, maybe around 4 or 6 or upward, in a TIFF or PSD format, how long does it take to save?

• Quite quick, seconds to maybe under a minute, similar to a native afphoto file
    • Somewhat slower than usual, maybe 2 to 3 minutes
    • Very long, maybe 3 to 5 minutes
    • So long it feels like it has froze, over 5 minutes

I've put up this poll because I am wondering if others are going through this issue:

When working with either a TIFF or PSD, if I create a document with multiple Live Filters, 5 and up, it takes a very long time to save, around 5 minutes, as opposed to saving within seconds to maybe a minute. 

It's very frustrating. 

Before I complain to the developers, I wanted to see if others can recreate this problem/issue. 

For those interested, I am on Mac, and this is the first problem I've had with Affinity Photo. 

24 minutes ago, Doren Sorell said:

if I create a document with multiple Live Filters, 5 and up, it takes a very long time to save, around 5 minutes,

Why not upload a sample "faulty" file so others can test saving it and to see what time it takes on their systems

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

54 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Why not upload a sample "faulty" file so others can test saving it and to see what time it takes on their systems

Already done that with a couple of files. They had the same problem. 

Thus, trying to see if others come across this with any TIFF or PSD files. Because, I’ve created a few random files, new ones from scratch as well as older ones, and once I add multiple Live Filters, no matter what, the TIFF and PSD files all take a very long time to save. And it shouldn’t; a moderator already told me so. It’s not a corrupt file; it’s all TIFF or PSD files with many Live Filter layers. I’ve been experimenting for days, and it happens every single time when I try to recreate it. 

Therefore, I thought I’d take a poll and see if others come across this same issue or not. 

I hope that is clear and makes sense. 

Thanks in advance to all who participate. I would like to get this resolved ASAP.

If you are unwilling to post any sample .afphoto files to this topic, could you at least tell us the pixel dimensions of your documents, some indication of which live filters you are applying to them, & how they are ordered in the Layers panel?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, Lee D said:

@Doren Sorell You've already posted about this issue in the Bugs section.  It's been confirmed and passed over to the developers to look into, however we don't have an eta on the fix.

@Lee D ~ Yes, I have. Sorry to beat a dead horse like this, but just wanted to see if others were having the same issue, and I've discovered they do, and it's been forwarded to the developers, so I'll let this go for now. Plus, @James Ritson explained it so well in another post that it all makes sense to me. 

Sorry to all for the annoying posts. Thanks a bunch to all who endured my frustrations. 

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

If you are unwilling to post any sample .afphoto files to this topic, could you at least tell us the pixel dimensions of your documents, some indication of which live filters you are applying to them, & how they are ordered in the Layers panel?

@R C-R ~It wasn't about me being "unwilling" -- it was not about my file, and it wasn't about an afphoto file, but TIFFs and PSDs. Thus I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. 

I got the evidence I needed to show that this is indeed a problem, and that the developers are aware, and now I'll let this go. 

Sorry for the post-rants on my end. And thanks to all who responded.