You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.7.2.471] Crash when escaping in text style properties

Tim Clarke

Both keyboard drivers are the generic Windows drivers (Microsoft 6.1.7601.17514, dated 21/06/2006), likewise for the mouse drivers (Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 21/06/2006).  Nonetheless I uninstalled what I could, and it made no difference.  I removed the Kensington trackball and tried it woith a mouse, and still the same problem.  I removed TrackWorks.  Unfortunately I don't have a wired keyboard.  I notice though that both Alain and myself have wireless keyboards, and we have the full Affinity suite (but ... I'm guessing you also have the full suite installed).

Edit: I also renamed the full Affinity directory in AppData, and it made no difference.

You'll maybe hate this, Sean, but I've been doing some things to my system, and out of curiosity checked to see if the bug was still there.  And it isn't.  In either Designer or Publisher.

If it's any use to pinpoint the error (and of course, if it happens again I'll update you), the only things I can think are some way connected:

• messing about with gradients and the transparency tool in Designer
  • (more likely) installing and uninstalling various font managers, uninstalling some previously installed fonts, doing some tempoary font installs (testing the font managers)
  • (hmmm ... maybe ...) I uninstalled my Wacom tablet yesterday, and so went to the Wacom website to download the driver.  It's a different driver to the one I had before.  I still have the OLD driver, if you want me to uninstall the new one and install the old one again.  Or send you the old driver. Or whatever.

• Staff
On 9/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, Tim Clarke said:

You'll maybe hate this, Sean, but I've been doing some things to my system, and out of curiosity checked to see if the bug was still there.  And it isn't.  In either Designer or Publisher.

If it's any use to pinpoint the error (and of course, if it happens again I'll update you), the only things I can think are some way connected:

• messing about with gradients and the transparency tool in Designer
  • (more likely) installing and uninstalling various font managers, uninstalling some previously installed fonts, doing some tempoary font installs (testing the font managers)
  • (hmmm ... maybe ...) I uninstalled my Wacom tablet yesterday, and so went to the Wacom website to download the driver.  It's a different driver to the one I had before.  I still have the OLD driver, if you want me to uninstall the new one and install the old one again.  Or send you the old driver. Or whatever.

Heh! Well at least it is no longer crashing for you, so thats a benefit!

Did you have any font managers installed whilst it was crashing? If so which one? Also if you could upload the Wacom driver that would be good, I'll give that a go!
https://www.dropbox.com/request/TLcThBoL3Tri8IXFVaC5

Thanks

I've had Nexus Font installed in the past, but I don't think it's been installed for the past year or so.  I have a fresh download on my desktop, so I'm assuming I had uninstalled it before.

The Wacom driver is uploading now.  When I rebooted my PC yesterday, Wacom complained about mismatching hardware (even though the driver I'm using now was downloaded from their website for this particular tablet).  So I may need to uninstall the new one and reinstall the one I'm uploading for you.  Of course, if I do, I will do some testing before and after.

In case you want to check for common shared libraries, these are the font managers I installed.  The first two are still installed, the rest have been uninstalled again.  I still have the downloads if they'd be useful.

1. High-Logic MainType
  2. FontExpert 2019
  3. NexusFont 2.6.2
  4. Typograph
  5. FontBase 2.9.4
  6. Font Runner 3
  7. Font Manager
  8. Printers Apprentice
  9. Font Viewer

I also have a zip of all the fonts that I removed from my system.  But that's a 226 MB.  If it's helpful though, I can try uploading it over night (I'll split it up with 7-zip if necessary).

In addition, I have an image of my drive (a week or so old) in case there is anything you want me to check if it was removed/changed/whatever.  I don't know how long I can keep this image though, as my backup drive is only a couple of TB.