You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.7.2.471] Crash when escaping in text style properties

Tim Clarke

• Staff

Hi Tim,

I've just been trying this myself (both using GB and US keyboard layouts and application locales) and cannot reproduce this. Is there anything i'm doing differently to you in my attached video? I've tried to show in the video me pressing the Esc button with the on-screen keyboard however I've also used a physical keyboard in that video too! 

Weird... yesterday I had the exact same problem as Tim, version .471 and .476 crashed exactly the same way. This moring new version .481 doesn't crash but ... .471 does not crash anymore... 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Well .471 just crashed doing this. When I restarted Designer it poped a box saying that a crash report will be sent.

I does that just once in a while. I create a new document, insert a Frame text box, insert filler text, select a Text style, Colors and decoration... hit escape and it crashes. So far it crashed once out of ten times.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I'm still unable to reproduce this even using Windows 7! I'm wondering if it is related to the document palette you are using. Would you be able to go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and then attach a zipped up copy of the 1.0 folder please?

Have you tried this in Publisher and does it work in there?

Morning Sean,

After posting the video, I wondered too if it was something to do with the custom palette.  Though I made that only recently, since the last Designer update.  Would you like me to try removing the palette?  I didn't want to change anything -- I'd rather leave stuff as much as it is to help you replicate this, unless you want otherwise.

I hadn't tried it in Publisher.  I have now though, and it also crashes.  So I'm not sure if that means the attachment is no use.  I assume you dont want me to report the crash in the Publisher forum too?

designer-1.0.zip

• Staff

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the file, unfortunately the attachment is failing to extract. It is still useful to attach it as it will contain the crash report as well we can look into. Leave the palette for now as well, as that may not be the problem if Publisher is doing it!

• Staff

Thanks for that I got the files! But still having no luck! The crash report indicates that you have some tablet drivers installed - could you try disconnecting your tablet and try again. If that does work what Tablet and driver version do you have installed?

Also what are the 1 and A icons on your system tray for?

It's a Wacom Bamboo tablet, not currently attached.  I haven't used it for a long time (months, if not years --- except, coincidentally, I breiefly attached it yesterday as I was experimenting with something).  The first crash I reported happened before yesterday, and I think they all happened without the tablet attached.  Would you like me to uninstall the driver?  It is version 1.2.2.0, date 29/06/2009 (!).

The 1 and A icons are TrayStatus 4.0 --- on-screen indicators for caps lock and numlock.

Other than the Wacom, I also have a cheap (£6) generic wireless mouse installed --- not switched on unless I accidentally knock a button.  I have a Kensington wireless trackball --- my main pointing device.  I also have a Logitech keyboard and mouse set (wireless, NON unified USB) --- Logitech MK270.  The keyboard is the one I use all the time, the mouse is used when I'm sitting on the couch watching a film or whatever, so it's not used when running Designer.  I also have a Logitech wireless K350 keyboard (unified USB) which is not switched on, and the dongle is not attached (they're waiting to be put on eBay), but I haven't yet uninstalled the driver.

(Yes, four pointing devices and two keyboards!)

Other software I use which might be considered not typical:

• Directory Opus
  • BitDefender AV trial
  • Macrium Reflect backup
  • Vmware
  • Virtualbox

My career used to be software development (from C embedded systems through to Java mid-tier) so I'm quite happy to try different things and uninstall/reinstall stuff, if it's any help.  But I'm trying not to change the envioronment too much in case the bug can't be replicated.  Just let know if you want something uninstalled, updated, whatever.

• Staff
33 minutes ago, Tim Clarke said:

It's a Wacom Bamboo tablet, not currently attached.  I haven't used it for a long time (months, if not years --- except, coincidentally, I breiefly attached it yesterday as I was experimenting with something).  The first crash I reported happened before yesterday, and I think they all happened without the tablet attached.  Would you like me to uninstall the driver?  It is version 1.2.2.0, date 29/06/2009 (!).

The 1 and A icons are TrayStatus 4.0 --- on-screen indicators for caps lock and numlock.

Other than the Wacom, I also have a cheap (£6) generic wireless mouse installed --- not switched on unless I accidentally knock a button.  I have a Kensington wireless trackball --- my main pointing device.  I also have a Logitech keyboard and mouse set (wireless, NON unified USB) --- Logitech MK270.  The keyboard is the one I use all the time, the mouse is used when I'm sitting on the couch watching a film or whatever, so it's not used when running Designer.  I also have a Logitech wireless K350 keyboard (unified USB) which is not switched on, and the dongle is not attached (they're waiting to be put on eBay), but I haven't yet uninstalled the driver.

(Yes, four pointing devices and two keyboards!)

Other software I use which might be considered not typical:

• Directory Opus
  • BitDefender AV trial
  • Macrium Reflect backup
  • Vmware
  • Virtualbox

My career used to be software development (from C embedded systems through to Java mid-tier) so I'm quite happy to try different things and uninstall/reinstall stuff, if it's any help.  But I'm trying not to change the envioronment too much in case the bug can't be replicated.  Just let know if you want something uninstalled, updated, whatever.

Thank you very much for that comprehensive list! :) I noticed Directoru Opus was installed so I installed that on a VM and was still unable to reproduce without it. Judging by your list I would say the main offender is likely to be the Logitech drivers! Do you know what version and drivers you have installed? I'll see what I can do on a VM with them, but it may be tricky without the hardware. That may also explain why the on-screen keyboard was fine for you!

If you don't mind uninstalling those temporarily that would help narrow it down.

With regards to running on a VM that won't cause any issues with your current installed license. The EULA does state the followin, however I will say that we don't support 'usage' on VMs but its fine just to try and problem solve like that!

If you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control.

It now crashes every time doing the following...

This is a recording from Publisher .471, but it does the sameinversion .475 and with Designer .471 and .481

-- Macbook Air 15"

It's the wireless keyboard that came with my HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-0029. I don't find the model but I think it's KB-2065.

-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff

That's really strange! Tried a few different keyboards here (all wired though) and cannot reproduce it. I'm going to pass the crash reports on to development to see if that gives any further hints. I'll try on my home machine as I've got a Razer Blackwidow Chroma and will be interested to see if those drivers cause any issues.

I have a few crash reports from today's experiments, I can zip them and attached them if that can be of any help...

-- Macbook Air 15"