crow

Tool Shortcuts Don’t Work Sometimes

Hello. As the title says, all tool shortcuts (v, m, etc.) stop working at some point (I hear the “beep” sound when I press the shortcuts) and then start working again. I tried restarting the app and reseting user settings, but the issue stays. I just have to use my mouse for some time and wait for the shortcuts to start working again. I don’t yet know what causes this.

Edit: Forgot to tell that I’m using the latest beta, but as far as i can remember the Mac App Store version has the same issue.

Hi Kyre,

I've been playing with the shortcut keys on and off for the past 5 hours and all have worked each and every time.

What version of the Mac OS are you running, also are you using a wireless keyboard or a wired one?

If you can narrow it down to a list of steps that cause them to stop working, then we should be able to resolve it.

Hi Kyre,

I've been playing with the shortcut keys on and off for the past 5 hours and all have worked each and every time.

What version of the Mac OS are you running, also are you using a wireless keyboard or a wired one?

If you can narrow it down to a list of steps that cause them to stop working, then we should be able to resolve it.

HI stokerg,

I’m running the latest Yosemite, wired keyboard. I didn’t encounter this issue yesterday. If I do, I’ll try to make a list. Thanks!

A couple days ago I had made note of what sounds like the same problem.  The note I wrote describing the problem was:

"When most panels are used the hotkeys no longer work until you click inside the drawing.  For example after you click to have the stroke aligned to the inside then the tool selection hotkeys are ignored.  Actually it’s not ignored the cursor switches to a black arrow that looks enough like the node tool to make you think the hotkey worked.  But if you are in the pen tool clicking inside the drawing can cause problems.  Anytime you hit a hotkey you have to be able to assume it works or else it’s useless."

After reading this forum entry I went back and tried to reproduce the problem and was not able.  I even tried it in the same drawing with no luck.  But on that day it was happening enough that I thought to document the problem.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thanks Gear Maker.  

I'll have another crack at making them stop following the above post and will update here if I have any success 

stokerg, thanks for looking into this.  Another note I made that day that might be associated (or might not) was that cmd+C frequently wouldn't work, I'd just get a beep.  But cmd+J did work.  I couldn't figure out why if one worked the other wouldn't.  I love the Color Chooser but do find that it always stops hotkeys from working until I click back in the drawing.  That is my ONLY complaint about the Color Chooser.  It has a permanent location in the corner of my screen.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra