You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparent gradient not completed fade out on the edge

Hey guys, I'm trying to make a black to transparent fading gradient, I drew a rectangle shape on 1/3 height of the page and use the transparent tool to click on bottom of the shape and drag to the top straight, midpoint set the standard 50% but on top of the shape, it appear to have noticeable edge and not completely fade to transparent and blend in to the background image, can you guys let me know how to settle this?

I try to set the midpoint to 55% because I want the black are to be a bit higher and then make a second midpoint and set it to 45% and the edge don't noticeable much but because there's 2 midpoints, the gradient looks like a 3 bar with black, dark gray and light gray shading. 

And how do i make sure tire's no banding problem with amazon KDP print?

Please help!

Gradient Test.afdesign

It looks like the gradient on your 50% layer runs from 100% opaque black on the left to 100% opaque gray on the right. If you want it to fade to transparency, shouldn't you go to 0% opacity on the right end?

gradient-settings.png.2f90033cdcdbc68989650c55cc2d022c.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It looks like the gradient on your 50% layer runs from 100% opaque black on the left to 100% opaque gray on the right. If you want it to fade to transparency, shouldn't you go to 0% opacity on the right end?

gradient-settings.png.2f90033cdcdbc68989650c55cc2d022c.png

Hi thanks for reply, no it can't be, i see you chose the fill tool right? I used the transparent tool actually, and as you can see it's color to transparent, I can't choose color here and it just based on the color of my rectangle shape, which is black originally 

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 10.56.09 AM.png

• Staff

Hi Johnny Chin :)

AFAIK, this is the correct behaviour for the transparency (or gradient) tool.

I've replicated your document in Photoshop and the effect looks very similar visually -

image.png

What sort of effect are you looking for?

18 hours ago, Johnny Chin said:

And how do i make sure tire's no banding problem with amazon KDP print?

Unfortunately I have no experience with Amazon KDP,  perhaps other forum members may be able to assist here.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi Johnny Chin :)

AFAIK, this is the correct behaviour for the transparency (or gradient) tool.

I've replicated your document in Photoshop and the effect looks very similar visually -

image.png

What sort of effect are you looking for?

Unfortunately I have no experience with Amazon KDP,  perhaps other forum members may be able to assist here.

Thanks for reply! Sorry I just found out is better to reduce the height of the rectangle for the gradient so the shading doesn’t cover up my content even it’s transparent.

i can’t access my laptop right now but I want the rectangle to be 2.875 inches height from the bottom of the page exclude the bleed, midpoint of the gradient is 57%. It is using to act as a background for the white description text that going to put on top of the gradient, there is going to be a full page background image behind the gradient too.

Dp you think the top edge of the gradient at this new setting going to be too visible ? My eyes are very sensitive to tiny details, the 2 original setting in the files posted even tho should be ok but I can notice it, I think it can be more smooth if the rectangle is taller but it can’t be happened here. Glad to know it’s normal based on your replicas but do you think they going to be noticeable especially the new setting? 

Why not make the rectangle taller than it needs to be and the gradient to have a finite height, this would eliminate a potential hard edge of the rectangle and allow the gradient to feather out to 0% opacity.

The other option here is to test the opacity with the eye dropper tool. does it read no colour and 100% alpha?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

8 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Why not make the rectangle taller than it needs to be and the gradient to have a finite height, this would eliminate a potential hard edge of the rectangle and allow the gradient to feather out to 0% opacity.

The other option here is to test the opacity with the eye dropper tool. does it read no colour and 100% alpha?

I can't, because I only want that gradient edge to reach certain height so it don't cover the bottom of my content, I tried to make the shape full page and draw the transparent gradient line from bottom to the only height i want but it still looks the same

The colour picker shows the boundary edge of the rectangle and just before as 255 255 255 which would indicate transparency, it gradually goes down from there so the transparency is being applied consistently and incrementally. I wonder if this isn't just a consequence of the monitor and the transmissive effect of light.

Have you tried printing a page out to see the printed effect?

I don't see much in the way of options here, you would have to lose some black by moving the mid point to 45% to get a wider feather to 0% opacity, to solid the black back up you could duplicate the rectangle and drops it's layer opacity to 50% this does "clump" the black at the bottom but I'm thinking this is more an exercise in compromise.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions