You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exporting Dots to PDF [Publisher]

27 minutes ago, BofG said:

That's actually quite interesting... viewing these on my phone through the Google Drive viewer both sets of dots look just as round. I wonder if the different viewers handle "circles" differently. Perhaps swapping out the Bezier representation for a true round shape.

Anyway, I'd use squares. Problem solved :)

The default viewing condition in Acrobat/Reader is to "Enhance thin lines," which is a terrible default setting as the OP's pdf looks like this:

Capture_000232.png.ce4ef825c4cd2186d973c79fc4044aba.png

If that setting is turned off (which gets reset upon an update), then the OP's pdf looks fine on-screen.

However, whether this setting is on or off makes no difference in each of the 3 applications I used to compare with Affinity applications.

Perhaps you are reading the relevant portions (as well as drawing the proper conclusion), perhaps not...

The point I would like to reiterate is why does every other application display its pdfs "properly" (lack of screen artifacts in this case) in Acrobat/Reader and Affinity applications do not if the pdf generating application plays no part in the process?

Google's, Chrome's and FF's pdf readers are garbage (so is Preview) when it comes to many pdf constructs that display properly in Acrobat/Reader. They also don't have Acrobat's or Reader's dubious default preference for enhancing thin lines (which I always turn off).

I have no idea what the "real" issue is with the pdf. Nor what viewer is being used. I do know the OP is using the Windows version, and so if Acrobat/Reader is being used to view the pdf AND if the issue is this issue of dotted lines appearing pixelated, turning off that preference may/will provide a solution that is acceptable.

46 minutes ago, BofG said:

I must have misunderstood, when you said you compared other applications I thought you meant viewers, as in most viewers displayed it correctly, but it seems you meant creating pdfs with dots from those other applications show no issues regardless of viewer?

I'm going to take a look on my computer and see as I'm intrigued as to what is happening..

Yes as regards other generating applications such as CorelDraw, QuarkXPress, AI, ID, etc.

15 minutes ago, BofG said:

So this has me mostly stumped. The only real difference between the original pdf and pdf2 is the size of the stroke "on" length (i.e. the bit that is drawn, not the gap).

The first pdf has a stroke "on" length of 0.0001, the pdf 2 has a stroke "on" length of 0.001. Perhaps the fact that it's 10x smaller in user space is causing the lower output quality. There's not much else going on in there to make a difference.

Here's the relevant code from the original posted file:

7.28 w
[0.0001 14.4253 ]0 d

This is a snippit from the pdf2 file:

1 J 0 j 8 w 10 M [.001 16.017 ].001 d

Both have around a 8pt stroke, with a round line cap and essentially zero length "on" sections, with "off" sections at 2x stroke width.

I *think* the difference you are pointing out is the phase difference. As nothing else I use has that exact (or relevant) corresponding setting, I cannot test. I'm probably wrong. And yes, the point sizes are a little different but it makes no difference if say I adjust either to use the 7.3 or 8 points the other has.

Wow guys, it seems my problem turned into a deep investigation. Thanks!

Conclusion for now: no possibility to fix it through any of the Affinity options and just turn off  "Enhance thin lines" in Acrobat. That seems to work for me, I´m just not sure if the receiver of my PDF will have this option activated by default, which probably it is, so he won't be able to see the correct output.

Mmmm, maybe I will eventually change it to squares as @BofG
 suggested...