You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Language Issues - Thai and Hebrew

Hi, I'm having trouble adding any text in Thai and Hebrew.

See attachments.

Thai should read สวัสดีค่ะ. The vowels and tone marks are showing up as separate characters, instead of above the characters as intended.

Hebrew should read שלום. The characters came out left-to-right instead of right-to-left as intended.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 6.04.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 6.06.43 PM.png

Edited by DanaV

Arabic is the 5th most spoken language on Earth, and is a right-to-left language. If you don't support most of the languages used around the world, then it's going to be hard to be taken seriously as the new defacto standard for desktop publishing... and at the very least, the page on the AppStore should state very clearly which languages will work with your product, since the general assumption by people is probably that your product works with every language supported by the OS. As it stands now for those of us that live in countries that speak one of your unsupported languages, your product is completely useless, since we can't create anything with text.

Edited by DanaV

8 hours ago, DanaV said:

If you don't support most of the languages used around the world, then it's going to be hard to be taken seriously as the new defacto standard for desktop publishing...

Realistically, it would take a lot more than RTL language support to make any of the Affinity apps the new defacto standard for anything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Dear the Affinity team:

Middle-east lang support is needed also for people who don't speak and type in Arabic or Hebrew etc, and that's because when you have a LTR document (such as English, etc) if just a few words in any RTL language are mixed in, you will have problems with your text. and that's the reason why i can't join Affinity right now.

I hope this feature will be soon, so i will have the ability to buy a few copies from the Affinity suite for my small team.

All the best!

• 2 months later...

Hi Affinity Team

I am from South Africa and have purchased all three of your products, Photo, Designer and Publisher. I think they are awesome except for one problem I am having... it does not support right to left text for the Arabic and Urdu text I require to be inserted. This is quite frustrating, especially with the Publisher, since the books I need to publish are in English with many excerpts in Arabic. This means that I need to insert pictures of the Arabic text instead of being able to type it out and it is making it really cumbersome.

I have read your updates since 2016 when you mentioned that the update will be coming soon, but how is it that such an update is taking so long especially when it comes standard on most other apps, including Pages, MS Office and even the open source graphic design software GIMP? 

Are you planning to release the RTL text update soon or should we rather consider a refund and look at other apps? 

Please help

Thank You

• 4 years later...

I agree with everyone here. Is it so hard to add support for those languages? I am sure people would start choosing Affinity over other design apps because they are really affordable and good design softwares but its really hard to have to create images of Hebrew text to be able to create the designs in this language. This is very annoying and I also asked for a refund even so I wanted to buy the bundle. Is Affinity even paying attention to these posts at all?