You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher fields / how to? / possible?

Working on a workbook and I wanted to have a day countup / countdown 

I.e., day 35/330, day 34/329, day 35/328

35 could be done with sections and page number field however I am unsure how to get the 330 to properly “countdown” other than manually typing which I do not want to do as there’s too much possibility for human error.

any thoughts?

I can envision one very complex way involving a large set of linked text frames, which would be hard to set up and much more error prone than manual typing.

I would do it manually, I think :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

There is no automatic "countdown" ability in Publisher as far as I can see.

The attached shows one self-explanatory way to do this but would still involve a lot of (one-off) manual work regarding section names.

The main benefit of doing it this way is that the actual (on-screen) document structure is very simple, with just one text frame on the Master page and since it is on the master page if you wanted to change something likes its position, size, colour, font, etc it would be very easy to do.

If you manually added the descending numbers on each page it would involve 365 changes whenever a change was required.

Once you do it once you can keep the document as a template if you have to do this sort of thing on a regular basis.

dayoftheweek.afpub

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Mike -- this seems to be a very viable solution --  The shift click method seems to work. Example I just did,  I have an existing 20 pages and want to add 1 text frame to each existing page and have them all linked sequentially.  Nice! They arent on master so not perfect but pretty easy to adjust for the number of characters fitting on. Thank you for this solution!

Carl -- I've actually utilized the section method with another recurring item. I wish subsection were an option further splice things up. 

Hmm why does shift click not carry over through sections? I suppose thats how "Sections" work but should be a way to disregard sections for this action... oh well

Example section 1 - a text box is added, pasted data, shift click to create a box on all pages however if there are multiple sections it will create more blank pages within only that section to fill the space.

Workaround seems to parcel up the dates to account for the sections but seems like should be able to disregard sections. Certainly Seems that master shift click should work...