You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Could someone please show me how to create a simple, symmetrical, vector heart shape in Affinity Designer? I just want to be able to join nodes like in Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape, so easy and simple. I've been trying to create a symmetrical heart shape with two halves, but whenever I use the node snap tool it messes up one node handle at the bottom of the heart. One node handle ends up being forced into a corner node and the heart shape looses it's symmetry. 

When I try other ways of joining the paths then I get two nodes instead of just one node.

Thanks you for your help. 

HeartSymmetry02.png

Use the Heart Shape tool

Screen-Shot-2019-09-22-at-12-30-12.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Use the Heart Shape tool

Yes, but problem with join nodes stay. Changing the shape when joining nodes is very annoying.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Yes, but problem with join nodes stay. Changing the shape when joining nodes is very annoying.

I agree, also joining shapes and curves can also result in excessive nodes, but the question was to obtain a symmetrical heart shape and that question was fulfilled, it couldn't get much simpler.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@telemax An elegant solution!

When following along with your video, I just needed to read the hint bar at the bottom of the screen and Ctrl click on the Symbol in order to clone it and create the other half of the heart.

Thanks.

P.S. Do you have a video channel?:35_thinking: Your replies are super helpful.

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

FWIW, the Heart Tool may be the simplest of solutions, but it is limited to one adjustable property (for some reason labeled "Spread" in the context toolbar), so there are symmetrical heart shapes it can't create, like those labeled "2" & "3" in this heart shapes.afdesign file:

1884703072_3heartshapes.jpg.b22ca8c08c643c221b289426a2a42a22.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you all for your help!

I have tried the default heart shape, but I want to make my own custom heart shape. Also, AD seems to have issues when joining nodes with anchor handles, but it works great with corner nodes without anchor handles. 

The 'add geometry' option is the closest solution that I tried, but I'm a perfectionist and it bothers me when there are double nodes instead of just one node. 

I think for now I will merge all of my symmetrical vector drawings in another vector program and then import/paste them into AD

Have a good day and have fun vectoring. :)

12 hours ago, Fun Art Sam said:

@telemax How did you record your screen? Your video looks so professional. 

This is a regular screen recording app. For Example GeForce Experience, Bandicam, Filmora Scrn and others.
I'm using old Filmora Screen Capture, which came with Filmora Video editor 8.

The main thing is to keep a balance between the quality and the size of the video file.

Another solution, for the heart shape, is to snap each node handle to a grid intersection to make it precisely symmetrical on both sides. 

This is how I got the node handles to snap to a grid intersection:

1. Turn on Snapping, preset: Object Creation. 

2. Turn on 'Snap to grid' in the preset snapping menu.

3. Turn on 'Align handle positions using snapping options' in the context icon toolbar at the top. 

4. Move anchor handle point to a grid intersection and it snaps to it.

NodeHandle.png

37 minutes ago, Fun Art Sam said:

That's such a cute and simple heart! I never even thought about creating a heart that way. 

and yet another way is to use dingbat fonts with a heart theme and just convert to curves: https://www.1001fonts.com/search.html?search=hearts+dingbat