You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please help with choosing color using eyedropper

I cannot seem to move forward on my project until I can understand how to do this color sampling with an eyedropper. This was very simple in PS, but I'm clueless as to how to do it in Affinity Photo.

Please forgive me for the over-detailed explanation.

I'm trying to sample a color from the background cityscape and make the text that reads "Treetek" the same color as what I've sampled from the background photo. (See image attached)

So I tried selecting the layer that has the text Treetek. Then, I went to the tools menu on the left of my screen and selected the color picker. I sampled some color from one of the darker buildings in the background. I see the circular swatch change color to reflect what I chose, however, the text remains unchanged and orange.

Then I tried just selecting the layer with the text "Treetek" and clicked on FX at the bottom of the layers panel. I chose Color Overlay. The color of the swatch in that is orange to reflect the current color of the text Treetek. I click the orange swatch. I see RGB Slider, another circular orange swatch and an eye dropper. I click the eyedropper in that box, and randomly choose from the display of colors below the RGB sliders and it does indeed change the color of the text. But I cannot change the color of the text to any of the colors in the image that I sample.

Thanks again for your help!

chris

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 5.42.24 PM.jpg

When you sample a color with the eyedropper, it firsts places the sampled color in the "well" (the circle to the right of the eyedropper). You then need to click on the circle to apply it.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thank you,

Okay, i see that it changes the little circle in the well of the Color panel on the right, but it doesn't change it in the FX color overlay box. That stays orange. How is a designer supposed to quickly sample different colors from an image and see the text change color accordingly so they can quickly and efficiently experiment and make a dhoice? I have no idea why this is so difficult. It seems you should be able to simply highlight text, click on the eyedropper tool and click anywhere on an image and have the text change color accordingly. This does not work at all for me in Affinity Photo. So there must be a method that does work, no?

The picture attached is exactly what I see on my screen. I have no idea how to apply that color in the "well."

Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 10.34.25 PM.jpg

Hi,

when you use the eyedropper from the side tools panel, it should automatically change the colour of the selected text, make sure you have: Apply to Selection ticked and source from Global.

To change the colours within the FX settings you need to click on the colour box and sample and change the settings there (including using any swatches you've saved)

Great. I finally figured it out. I did have Global checked and Apply to Selection and it still wouldn't change. But your suggestion did indeed lead me to the solution, which was this:

I uncheck the Color Overlay from the Layer Effects box. The moment I did this, everything worked perfectly! Thank you. I can finally move forward with my project after two days.

Also, one more question about this please. I have the text outlined using Outline in the Layer Effects box. How do I sample colors from the background image to change the outline color? Seems I can only choose from the colors in the Layers Effects color box? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 1.22.41 AM.jpg

3 hours ago, chriscaldwell said:

Oh wow, perfect! Thank you so much.

I didn't get that you had to DRAG it! I thought you were supposed to CLICK on the eyedropper! Ha. Now it works perfectly.

Thank you.

No problem :) I've done the same myself before, i think another program i use does it the click way.