You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Everything looks pixelated

fusy83

I've been using AP for about 2 years and I've never had a single problem until I updated to 1.7 where there's a very noticeable pixelated look in everything (text, pen tool, shapes, etc) and I also seem to have this line using gradients found also in the linked post. Do keep in mind though that I got a new PC around the same time as 1.7 so it could also be that but I'm unsure. I've posted my settings and an example. I'm not sure whether this is the correct place to ask this or not so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Untitled.png

11 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

So what is it that looks pixelated if it's not the UI? 

The actual project, every project I've worked on since the 1.7 update its looked extremely pixelated. They're usually 1920 by 1080 at 400 dpi but it looks very low quality 

Edited by fusy83

6 minutes ago, fusy83 said:

1920 by 1080 at 400 dpi

DPI is irrelevant if it’s for the web. The value 400 simply means that if you were to print the image at its default resolution it would only be about 2½ inches high.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi fusy83,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Go to Affinity Preferences, Performance tab and set the View Quality dropdown to Bilinear (to fix the text/shapes issue you are reporting in this thread). Let us know if it doesn't fix the issues you are referring to.

Okay thank you. I will try that when I get home although if I remember correctly it is set on bilinear.

• Staff
39 minutes ago, fusy83 said:

although in the past version I was able to zoom in and it would adjust the quality? 

This would not have happened. We do not do any post-processing or smoothing. If your zoom level is 100% or more, you will see pixelation, and this is expected. 

On large images and slow PCs you can get excessive pixelation when scrubbing the zoom slider from 1% to a higher value.  This pixelation "smooths" itself out after a couple of seconds once the pixel fairies have caught up.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

the one on the top i have just made and me being stupid I forgot to save the file but you can clearly see this looks absolutely terrible compared to the bottom one that was made almost a year ago with much smoother lighting and colours. 

Untitled.png

LV.png

Edited by fusy83

• Staff

The colour bit depth (RGB8/16/32, etc) have no effect on the pixel resolution, but only give you a better colour accuracy (256 values for 8bit, 65,536 values for 16bit, and "floating point" - instead of integer numbers for 32 bit  . For example, a 10 x 10 px image has 100pixels regardless of its bit depth.