You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher text box issue help

Been using PagePlus for 12 years, making the transition, not happy about some things but others are great, proceeding forward. I like to figure things out alone, it helps us "learn how to learn," but I can't figure this one out.....   I publish a newspaper, lots of text boxes. When I copy text from email or a word doc and paste it into an Affinity text box it jumbles an entire document of text into a cluster of words in a few lines. Attached a screen shot-

text.jpg

There are several things that could give that result. If you could give us a copy of a .afpub document where that has happened we could see the issue and describe it to you without having to guess and list all the possibilities.

Generally, though, you will find a fix by carefully examining the Character and Paragraph studio panels. Serif would probably need the original Word file and information on exactly what you copied to find a cause.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

There are several things that could give that result. If you could give us a copy of a .afpub document where that has happened we could see the issue and describe it to you without having to guess and list all the possibilities.

Generally, though, you will find a fix by carefully examining the Character and Paragraph studio panels. Serif would probably need the original Word file and information on exactly what you copied to find a cause.

Attached-

textError.afpub

Thanks. If you look at the Character studio panel, you will see that in the Positioning and Transform section you have the Leading Override set to 0pt:

image.png.4e4a00d1aa53358244343b3fc76b48e0.png

That will cause every line of a paragraph to overlay the previous line. You need to click on the pulldown and set it to Auto, which is the usual and expected default value. It will then appear as something like (12.5pt) with the () around the value signifying it's set automatically.

Perhaps you set that yourself for some reason, or perhaps something you copied from Word had that setting. If this is happening regularly you may need to reset something in the Affinity defaults. To do that, once you've set it to Auto, use Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection which will fix it for that document. After that, to reset it for all new documents, use Edit > Defaults > Save.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 9:06 AM, magicdesign__ said:

paste as plain text should be an option

Edit -> Paste Without Format

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.