You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[website] Anybody else seeing underling & a tooltip-like popup for certain text strings?

When I type any of the following in a reply, they are automatically underlined & hovering over them in a posted reply pops up a box with an Affinity product name in it.

AP AD afpub 

There may be others. I also see the same thing in posts made by other users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I can't say I've ever noticed that behavior in others' posts, and I seldom use abbreviations like AP due to the possible confusion. I see that in your post, though. And I suppose I'll see it in this one once I hit submit :)

Is this a recent occurrence? Perhaps Patrick has configured something new.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't say I've ever noticed that behavior in others' posts, and I seldom use abbreviations like AP due to the possible confusion. I see that in your post, though. And I suppose I'll see it in this one once I hit submit :)

It is both in your post & in my quote from it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hey @Callum this is from my post in the moderators lounge. It's deliberately been added. It can go if it's disliked by Serif Staff

On desktop browsers you can hover over acronyms to see what was meant (they are not case sensitive, except AD and AP)

A list of acronyms

• AD
  • ADe
  • AP
  • APh 
  • APu
  • afphoto
  • afdesign
  • afpub
  • .afphoto
  • .afpub
  • .afdesign

These only affect NEW posts as they are parsed when they are made

Thoughts?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

I appreciate the AP confusion, but I think we're stuck with that meaning Photo for many customers for now.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Hey @Callum this is from my post in the moderators lounge. It's deliberately been added. It can go if it's disliked

On desktop browsers you can hover over acronyms to see what was meant (they are not case sensitive, except AD and AP)

A list of acronyms

• AD
  • ADe
  • AP
  • APh 
  • APu
  • afphoto
  • afdesign
  • afpub
  • .afphoto
  • .afpub
  • .afdesign

These only affect NEW posts as they are parsed when they are made

Thoughts?

I’m not a great fan of text on a web page being underlined if it isn’t a link, but if APu is going to be underlined then so should APub. I’m sure I’m not the only forum member who uses the latter abbreviation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

52 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

It's deliberately been added. It can go if it's disliked

What I really disliked was having these things becoming underlined with no warning & wasting time trying to figure out if it was because of some problem with my Mac, my browsers, an indication that someone hacked the site or my user settings, or what. Just bad timing I guess but Apple just released an update to the Safari browser I typically use to access the site, so that was one more variable to consider.

As for the underline/acronym feature itself, I think it would be OK if there was a way to disable it when it is not an intended use. Otherwise, occasionally some of us might wonder what the proprietor of the Kwik-E-Mart, the American Public University, the Associated Press, Amphenol Corporation, the American Printing House for the Blind, & a few other things had to do with the Affinity apps! xD

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
1 minute ago, R C-R said:

some of us might wonder what the proprietor of the of the Kwik-E-Mart, the American Public University, the Associated Press, Amphenol Corporation, the American Printing House for the Blind, …….

When they start posting here I will turn it off. This is an Affinity support forum and this pedantry is not funny. When users and staff here answer newbie questions and happen to use these terms the tooltip will help. Viewing them is not customisable in your account. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What I really disliked was having these things becoming underlined with no warning & wasting time trying to figure out if it was because of some problem with my Mac, my browsers, an indication that someone hacked the site or my user settings, or what. Just bad timing I guess but Apple just released an update to the Safari browser I typically use to access the site, so that was one more variable to consider.

Next time, simply look at the code (ctrl+u in Firefox) and don't stress ;)

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Beneficial for new users unfamiliar Affinity acronyms, minor adjustment for others?  

Agreed, thanks.

These are Serif support forums and need to work for us. Indeed there will be some considerable reorganising of the forums shortly to make them more effective for staff and our processes. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I’m not a great fan of text on a web page being underlined if it isn’t a link

Text that is a link is commonly a solid underline. Text like this that has a pop-up explanation of some sort is commonly a dotted underline, as these are. The difference (solid vs dotted) should help you immediately know what the underlining signifies.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Text that is a link is commonly a solid underline. Text like this that has a pop-up explanation of some sort is commonly a dotted underline, as these are. The difference (solid vs dotted) should help you immediately know what the underlining signifies.

In a decent browser like Chrome but look in Edge, it's a solid line (even though it should not be)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Just now, Patrick Connor said:

Agreed, thanks.

These are Serif support forums and need to work for us. Indeed there will be some considerable reorganising of the forums shortly to make them more effective for staff and our processes. 

Totally agree concerning “support forum” and reorganization of processes most helpful for new users. Thank you.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

10 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

When they start posting here I will turn it off.

The thing about that is discussions sometimes mention other products, news articles, quotes from various sources, etc., so it really would be useful if we could selectively disable the feature when it otherwise would cause confusion.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff
1 minute ago, R C-R said:

The thing about that is discussions sometimes mention other products, news articles, quotes from various sources, etc., so it really would be useful if we could selectively disable the feature when it otherwise would cause confusion.

These forums are for discussing Serif Products not other unrelated companies or news articles. There are tens of thousands of uses of these acronyms on this forum all with the meaning in the tooltip, and none of your (frankly ridiculous) examples. 

Use CODE quote if you that ever happens which it will not.

AD and AP and afphoto are not tooltipped

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Please, if you use those acronyms for something else, use full names instead, it's help people here that are more familiar with their own language acronyms (and we have a lot too), and aren't with other languages' ones.

22 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Text that is a link is commonly a solid underline. Text like this that has a pop-up explanation of some sort is commonly a dotted underline, as these are.

I just checked this topic on my iPad & on my iPhone. Maybe I am missing something but I cannot find a way to pop up any explanatory text for why these items are underlined. Among other things, what I do get if I press & hold on one of them in the popup is a "Look Up" link, but the results the Siri (or whatever) search engine returns for that tend to be unrelated to the Affinity products. The same thing happens on my Mac if I highlight one of them, right-click, & choose the "Search with <default web browser>" item.

FWIW, that is where my list of "ridiculous" examples came from. I can only speak for myself but I found this unannounced change worrisome enough that I did try those lookups to see if that would turn up some clue about what was causing this. I was not simply trying to be pedantic or funny.

Affinity Photo 

Mobile devices aren't able to use full HTML and CSS functionalities, it seems the only mobile browsers able to show tooltips is the Opera one on Android devices and Android emulators.

Seems you need to complain to Apple for this.

(Firefox on Android isn't able too, I didn't check the other available browser on Android).

• Staff

As I said in my first post "On desktop browsers..." There's no such thing as hover on touch devices.

Not being helpful to everyone is not the same as not being helpful to anyone

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

@Patrick Connor, thanks for looking out for the people who have not yet gained the institutional knowledge of those who have been here forever!

My only comment does echo some of the others though; since you appear to have control over the styling of the abbreviations, perhaps use multiple styles simultaneously to negate the link-similar behavior? strong+em maybe or give the span an enclosing border instead of just below/underscore?

It won't bother me if you don't. If the options are keeping it as it is or ditching it, keep it; the benefit even as it is will be outweigh any inconvenience. However, if you can tidy it up just a bit more, I think it would further amplify your intent.

Or, I guess you could turn it into an actual link, no? Point them to a page listing the abbreviations so that if someone is curious enough to click (which should also satisfy the "no tooltips on my browser" crowd) they can learn about all the different approaches to these names.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

• Staff

I like the idea, but AFAIK I have no control over the styling, though I think it may be tweakable in the theme files (css and html here be dragons). I will see if anyone knows more than me about this.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I was not simply trying to be pedantic or funny.

I don’t know why Patrick took your comment that way. I certainly didn’t! I immediately associate the name ‘Apu’ with the proprietor of the Kwik-E-Mart, and ‘AP’ has always had several different possible meanings for me, even setting aside the fact that those letters happen to be my first and last initials.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

This question has been answered. This thread is locked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd