You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing an Indesign PDF file from within Affinity Publisher

I realize I cannot open native Indesign files within publisher 'YET' I can however open the PDF file from the InDesign template and do some editing, is this the same functionality that I would otherwise have if I was able to open the .indd or .inx file?

I am editing a magazine cover right now and this is what my workspace looks like from within Affinity Publisher.  It appears I have full control and the same editing abilities that I would have editing a /indd or .inx file,  is this the case?  

What are the disadvantages of editing a PDF indesign template within publisher?

Thank you

Jeremy Cowell McMahon 

Publisher.png

One final question, I also purchased a magazine cover template in PSD format, would it be easier to use Affinity Photo to make my magazine mockup instead of trying to master Indesign in 3 days?  Could I get the same effect by using affinity photo with a magazine cover as I would using publisher or indesign?

thank you

Jeremy Cowell McMahon 

Photo Magazine.png

17 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

I can however open the PDF file from the InDesign template and do some editing, is this the same functionality that I would otherwise have if I was able to open the .indd or .inx file?

If you were able to import an IDML file (XML exported document from inDesign, it would be a full APub document with as much imported options as possible like Paragraph and Character Styles, Master Pages…). If you open a PDF, you'll only have the pages, and some text with the proprieties used in the original document, but you'll have to create the styles, organize them and their dependencies (if a style is based on another one for example).

You won't have the different master pages, and sometimes there are more master pages than the pages of the magazine, for different purposes, versions or options (pages with 1 picture or more, or variation with different text columns, different text frames depending of the content…). Usually, a template contains more than the visible pages, since different cases were thought ahead at the creation process.
NB. I don't buy templates, perhaps there's nothing more that what is on the pages…

It's like opening a flattened image: you can imagine it's made of different images (background, people, etc.) and different adjustement layers, but you can't be sure unless you're able to open the original file with all the layers.

17 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

What are the disadvantages of editing a PDF indesign template within publisher?

If you only need few modifications before exporting the final result, it's handy and a good workaround if you can't modify the original file.

If you need it as a template for a new project and you'll use it for many issues, like a magazine, you'll have to create all the styles (paragraph and character), the global swatch (Pantone?) and apply them to the different parts that should use them...
Check text frames if they need to respect the column grid, and if there's flowing text, etc.

It's better than using a paper magazine as example and creating all the document from scratch in APub, but you'll have a good amount of work if you want to make it a good template.

16 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

Oh boy, how do I get the cover to have this angle and background?

This look like a PSD file with a smart object (those are rasterized when opened in AD or AP). Smart objects can be imported files, that'll be used as vector object in Photoshop, and keep the trasformations as special informations. Like in the imported AP/AD files (B) imported in another AD/AP file (A), you can edit them: it should open a new windows in your app with the original imported file (file B), and modifications applied to this document and saved will be visible in the other one (file A).

But PSD smart objects only work with Photoshop, the same way as the Affinity smart object only work in Affinity files.

For example, with this cover: you have a smart object of the cover in the file. If you open it in Photoshop and click on this smart object, it'll open a rectangular file that contains the cover without modification. You would be able to modify (i.e. using red instead of blue in the cover) of put another image in this file. Once the smart object saved, it would be visible on the template:

1798731832_magazinecover.png.16c4bc53b81e5b0623c288c68cb58bcf.png

16 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

would it be easier to use Affinity Photo to make my magazine mockup instead of trying to master Indesign in 3 days?  Could I get the same effect by using affinity photo with a magazine cover as I would using publisher or indesign?

It would be easier not to use inDesign if you don't know it. On the long run, it's better to use it and learn to use it ;)

There's no reason to use Photoshop or AP for a magazine cover. It should be in the magazine's template, with all the other pages of the magazine. Or in a separate file if a different paper is used for the cover, but at least the 4 pages of the cover, since they'll be printed as a whole.

Usually all the pages of a magazine are in a same file. Some magazine are made of different files, but it's usually for different people to work on, or because some parts can be made and validated earlier, and this avoid possible errors or modifications.

If you're in a rush, you'd better use the easiest way for now, and work later to have a nice template for APub if that's the app you'll use later.

If you've got ID, you can use it to export the master pages as PDF to import them in APub. You can copy-paste text in Word or LibreOffice, export them as RTF or .DOC to import them in later in APub (you'll have to check and correct some differences or errors).
You can use those scripts to list and export all the inDesign paragraph/character styles of a document: Scripts_list_styles.zip

@Wosven thank you that was by far the most detailed answer, I wish there was a way to tip forum users that go above and beyond :) 

Yes, I will learn the basics of ID - I love using Affinity Products over Adobe, perhaps in the future, I will just make my own mockups instead of purchasing them.  Graphic Design is so much fun, it opens up a new world 

You know forget InDesign, I will master Affinity Publisher.  It just occurred to me that I mainly will be doing magazine mockups and not really "printing" anything so InDesign & even publisher is probably overkill and not the correct tool.  I do however like making nice-looking infographics so perhaps Affinity Publisher would be good for that?

I will master, Affinity Photo, Affinity Design, Affinity Publisher, and eventually ZBrush :4_joy: what else is good for content creation?

Thank you

Jeremy Cowell McMahon