You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Website] Why is there a topics list suddenly appearing on every topic page?

Has there been a change in the website format? Until an hour or so ago, when I opened a topic page, the question & replies extended fully to the right side of the browser window. Now I get this:

1038945543_topiclist.thumb.jpg.b09e6e362f1ae63c5cde2a0614181902.jpg

AFAIK, I have not changed any browser or website preferences that would do this, & I have tried viewing topics using several different browsers.

This Topics list doesn't seem to relate to anything I care about & it just wastes space.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, MEB said:

Hi R C-R, dutchshader,
Everyone is seeing that new panel. I believe Patrick is testing/experimenting a few things in the forum config.

I hope this is not intended as a permanent change. It wastes a lot of screen space -- even on my 27" screen that is quite annoying.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I hope this is not intended as a permanent change. It wastes a lot of screen space -- even on my 27" screen that is quite annoying.

Doubly so — indeed, almost trebly so — on my 9.7″ iPad screen!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I’m not a fan of this new thing either.
Being forced to have around a quarter of my browser width as just empty space once I’ve scrolled down the page doesn’t make for a better experience in my opinion.
If it scrolled with the page and I could specify what I wanted to see – e.g. all forum updates in real-time – then it might be useful but I don’t know what it’s showing at the moment and it’s just not visible most of the time.

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

I believe it's showing the forum Activity (the same info you get in the Activity tab on the top of the forum but by thread, not by reply).

Which means among other things that it shows me topics in the Windows bug forums ... which I really have no interest in since I do not own or use a Windows PC ... & I have no idea which forum a topic is in unless I click through on its link. :(

Affinity Photo 

I spent a frustrating half hour clicking back and forth this morning trying to get rid of this thing. I thought something had accidentally been enabled in my profile page.

---------------------------

The Devs are welcome to put whatever experience enhancements they like in it, as long as it can be removed with user preferences.

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

10 minutes ago, Roger C said:

I spent a frustrating half hour clicking back and forth this morning trying to get rid of this thing. I thought something had accidentally been enabled in my profile page.

I did the same thing, including trying browsers I don't normally use & searching through the forum user settings looking for some way of getting rid of the sidebar. :(

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

I have created an Invision Community support request to resolve this, as it has not been done deliberately by our staff.

This thread is now locked.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

This has now been resolved by removing the option

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon