You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating linked documents is broken

Fordy

I am making this a new topic as it's a very serious issue which I originally reported as a problem with saving files (it's not). 

After much investigation, it seems that there is a problem updating linked files. My case is reasonably extreme; I have a 140-page document, 80 pages of which are links to external PDF files. I can create the links fine but, as soon as the external PDF files are updated all hell breaks loose in Publisher. It doesn't matter if the links are updated automatically at opening, or manually using the Resource Manager - the update takes an eternity and the resulting disk file grows exponentially.  It is basically unusable in a production environment.

I have now recreated the file using exactly the same PDFs, but embedded. The file is only 32MB in size (the file with linked PDFs grew to be 82MB) and I can use the "Replace" function in the Resource Manager to update the PDFs whenever they change. The process works properly, time to update is short, and the file size is smaller. The only assumption I can make is that the process of updating linked files in Affinity Publisher is seriously broken. Unfortunately, I cannot provide the file as it contains confidential information.

Pauls, I have uploaded two files. The 83MB file is the Publisher file with linked content - after it had updated all the links. The file started out at about 30MB after the links were first created and then grew to 83MB after the links were updated (no other changes to content). As a comparison, once the 83MB file had been loaded (took 28 minutes) I went through and deleted all the linked PDF content and the file returned to about 20MB and loaded normally. I then embedded the same PDF files in the document and got a file of about 32MB. I have since updated the embedded files and it still sits at 33MB - much smaller than the file with the linked content. The second file is the largest of the PDF files that were linked - under 1MB and 51 pages long. I hope that helps diagnose the issue.