You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Place PDF in Publisher malfunctions (needs fix)

Hi, in our companys workflow we place our own and other companies ads in a biweekly paper. 

Our workflow is as follows.  We (3 of us) make small ads for local companies and export as pdf. We also get finished ads from others that vi place in our document. 

I have noticed that Affinity Publisher do not support placing ads with embedded fonts (when the font is missing it gets replaced by an arbitrary font and often the case it scrambles) 

I have also noticed that, as workaround, when we export our own pdfs as "text as curves" it doesn't export properly. See image 2. The outline does not follow the whole of the text but the individual characters - thats not how the design was ment to look. 

Is there a fix for this, a workaround or simply does Serif plan to make a proper Place for PDFs - we can not be the only ones that has this workflow. 

Thank you. 

Skärmklipp 2019-09-20 09.54.08.png

Skärmklipp 2019-09-20 09.53.04.png

Yes, it's a known major failing across the Affinity suite. Any PDF with embedded fonts cannot be relied upon to import correctly. This is true if you want to rasterize a PDF in Photo; or load into Designer for editing; or just position a PDF on a page in Publisher.

The only workaround is to Outline the fonts in the PDF using another program: don't use "Text as Curves" in the PDF Export options, use Outline fonts in Acrobat or Illustrator, or GhostScript.

Lots of postings on this and a major issue from me as i get content sent to me in PDF that I am unable to use.

No one solution works every time but my current workarounds are:

Export to PDF in third party programme (FoxIt PDF, Inkscape or Microsoft PDF writer) and convert fonts to curves.

I have downloaded PDF to PNG from freepdfsolutions.com and will give that a try if the above does not work.

It was suggested that fonts from the PDF using a third party tool as an option but this did not work at all for me.

I look forward to hearing about other workarounds or even better a fix in the application!

On 9/20/2019 at 5:32 PM, Catshill said:

Export to PDF in third party programme (FoxIt PDF, Inkscape or Microsoft PDF writer) and convert fonts to curves.

I have downloaded PDF to PNG from freepdfsolutions.com and will give that a try if the above does not work.

Thats a good suggestion, but for now we just keep Indesign for our main paper, and use Affinity designer for our per ad solution. (it´s just so much better to work in affinity, the snaping is butter smooth and everything breaths creativity, too bad it doesnt have the option to import/place pdf as uneditable pdfs with all fonts intact). 

Looking forward to better workarounds and/or future updates from Serif. This should be their no 1 priority, in my opinion.