You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I noticed an amazing thing with the SVG format.

• When I create an image with Affinity Designer in 10000 × 4200 pixels, the SVG image weighs 150 KB.
  • When I resize to 1000 × 420, the SVG image weighs 28 KB.

How to explain the difference in size of the file since the SVG format is a vector format?

It's about creating a logotype in SVG for a responsible website. How to determine the optimal dimensions under Affinity Designer?

Thank you for your explanations.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

11 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

How to explain the difference in size of the file since the SVG format is a vector format?

The SVG format also supports raster images. Does your file include anything that is rasterized?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello, Callum. I can send you the image privately. There is two Affinity Designer files. The only difference between these two files is that the second is a simple variation of dimensions. Both files are exported to SVG files with the same export settings.

Export the firts Affinity Designer file version 10000×4200 px then export the second  Affinity Designer file version 1000×420 px.

svg-02.png.742e494dc0a62c3823f5ea7ce9046825.png

Hello, R C-R. It was a PNG matrix image that was vectorized with Inkscape. It contained some single-color surfaces that were filled under Inkscape by the fill function. The SVG file was then imported into Affinity designer.

Afinity Designer decomposes the vector image in:

• text (text object), including one with rotation (text s object) ;
  • group (group object) of 2 rectangles (rectangle object) some with a gradient.
  • Path (path object).

svg-01.png

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

What

On 9/20/2019 at 1:38 PM, Callum said:

If possible could you provide the file in question and tell me the exact export settings you are using?

What are the news ?

@Pyanepsion if you open both of the svg files in a text editor you should be able to compare and see what is causing the increase in file size - svg is a simple mark up language which is human readable.

Another user found a bug with a certain shape exporting to pdf as thousands of straight lines instead of a single curve just by increasing the stroke width, maybe something similar is happening with your file.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Callum.

Where is the fix for this bug of gradient fills?