You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem Saving Aspect Ratio Presets in AP 1.7.2

Ladies & Gentlemen

I am fairly new to AP and am struggling to create Aspect Ratio presets for my Instagram post images.

I have followed the Instructions below but never get the option to "Create Preset"

As can be seen in the screenshot the 'Create Preset' option is greyed out - this occurs if applying to an image or in this case a sample document. :37_disappointed:

I would appreciate help with this.

To save crop settings as a preset:

1. Adjust the context toolbar settings.
  2. From the context toolbar, choose Presets, click the menu and select Create Preset.
  3. Type a name for the crop preset and (optional) choose a category to put it in, then click Create.

appreset.png

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Please could you make sure you don't already have a 4x5 preset?

Or possibly a 5x4,  which (I think) is one of the standard crop ratios that Photo supplies.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You type in fields 4 and 5, it's too small. Write 40 x 50 or 400 x 500.

And you can save the preset.

17 minutes ago, telemax said:

You type in fields 4 and 5, it's too small. Write 40 x 50 or 400 x 500.

And you can save the preset.

It's not that 4:5 is too small, but that it duplicates 5:4.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I created a custom ratio of 90:160, so as not to "duplicate" 16:9. I was able to save it.

However, when I loaded a new image, the crop ratio came up as 160:90, without me choosing any presets. So I clicked on my 90:160 preset, and nothing changed. I had to click on a different preset (1:1) then click on my custom preset for it to be correct. Clearly something isn't working right. I just upgraded to 1.7.3.

26 minutes ago, Steel Rat said:

How is that a duplicate? They are clearly different.

It's a duplicate in the sense that they're the same except for a rotation, and with one push of the Rotate button on the Context Toolbar 4:5 becomes 5:4.

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, walt.farrell said:

It's a duplicate in the sense that they're the same except for a rotation, and with one push of the Rotate button on the Context Toolbar 4:5 becomes 5:4.

I see that. But that creates extra, unnecessary steps in a workflow.

See my subsequent post also, the tool doesn't work correctly, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Steel Rat said:

Ok, so I created a custom ratio of 90:160, so as not to "duplicate" 16:9. I was able to save it.

However, when I loaded a new image, the crop ratio came up as 160:90, without me choosing any presets. So I clicked on my 90:160 preset, and nothing changed. I had to click on a different preset (1:1) then click on my custom preset for it to be correct. Clearly something isn't working right. I just upgraded to 1.7.3.

The Crop Tool is supposed to remember the last preset you used, so having used your 90:160 preset for one image the tool should remember it for the next.

However, the tool also seems sensitive to the orientation of the image. Given a portrait orientation, it seems (though I have not tested extensively) that the tool will prefer to orient the crop box with the longer dimension running vertically, but given a landscape orientation it will prefer to orient the box with the longer dimension running horizontally.

Again, if it guesses wrong you can use the Rotate button.

Someone from Serif would have to comment on whether it's working as they intend.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The Crop Tool is supposed to remember the last preset you used, so having used your 90:160 preset for one image the tool should remember it for the next.

However, the tool also seems sensitive to the orientation of the image. Given a portrait orientation, it seems (though I have not tested extensively) that the tool will prefer to orient the crop box with the longer dimension running vertically, but given a landscape orientation it will prefer to orient the box with the longer dimension running horizontally.

Someone from Serif would have to comment on whether it's working as they intend.

That's what I'm seeing as well. I'd like to be able to turn that feature off.

The problem with it choosing 16:9 instead of 9:16, then rotating, depending on the image, means the crop grid is way outside the bounds of the image.

Anyway. I appreciate your responses, and your patience.

17 hours ago, Steel Rat said:

The problem with it choosing 16:9 instead of 9:16, then rotating, depending on the image, means the crop grid is way outside the bounds of the image.

IIRC, the staff have said this behavior has been noted & passed on to the developers for review but so far nothing definitive has been decided about how or if it will be changed (or when).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2019 at 12:12 PM, walt.farrell said:

Mathematically, 4:5 is not the same as 5:4. I see your point, but it's not the same. The reason for creating a custom ratio is to reduce the number of repetitious steps one has to take. As I pointed out before, rotating doesn't just make something correct. You then have to fiddle with it to make it fit what you're doing. If the ratio was what I wanted in the first place, much less fiddling.

On 10/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, walt.farrell said:

I would rather it not guess. I chose a specific ratio for a reason, to crop out an image with that ratio and orientation, not a guessed one.