You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening EPS files

Gitmesteak

Hello Oval,

No, I have never used that method to eliminate the gaps. How would this work for shapes with gradients? or any shape that is not pure white? I subscribe to a illustration site that provides a wide variety of files. I have been noticing that most of the files now open with these gaps. 

Thanks,

• Staff

Hi Gitmesteak,

Thanks for the file. The original EPS is an Illustrator formatted EPS file which means it contains two streams of data: Regular EPS data and an Embedded AI file. This means that when Illustrator opens the EPS it will read the Illustrator stream meaning it will show exactly as it was saved when created in Illustrator.

So for example, your file uses mesh fills for many of the creases and folds. These aren't compatible with EPS and will get rasterised into pixel data in the EPS stream, but when opened in AI they appear correctly as vector objects because it is using the AI stream.

When the EPS file is opened in Affinity we are unable to read the AI stream and instead have to open the EPS stream with the rasterised data. What you're seeing with the stroke like objects is the edges of the pixel data, where it means other edges of pixel data. This creates a bit of fringing on the edges and is then showing the background grey below it. This is why Oval suggested using the white background behind the t-shirts, as it will eliminate this bleeding of the background.

As such this isn't a bug, just an annoyance on how Illustrator exports EPS files! Hope that helps!

On 20. September 2019 at 7:13 AM, Gitmesteak said:

In previous versions of designer, I did not see this issue.

Even if you would open that illustration.EPS in an old version of Affinity Designer you would get the same because those gaps are the result of the rendering algorithm as you can see if you use rectangles side by side (without a real gap, but you get a gap if you have a minimum contrast to the background):

fffggg.jpg.6cf1cd241814a66917c51705e79d6d48.jpg