Hello,

Happens in both Publisher 1.7.2.471, and Publisher BETA 1.7.3.475. Windows 10. Dell 7530 Precision laptop.

Have come across a bug in my workflow when aligning and grouping the aligned items. I have attached 5 images to show the steps and results.

Here is a step by step to reproduce:

1. New document. Place 3 objects on the canvas.
  2. Select all three items
  3. Select the Alignment button at top middle of screen (above ruler)
  4. In the Align Horizontally section, select Selection Bounds
  5. Select Space Horizontally
  6. In the Align Vertically section, select Selection Bounds
  7. Select Align Middle
  8. Don't hit the OK button yet.
  9. Items are now aligned and spaced as expected.
  10. On the keyboard, group those items using Control-G
  11. Items jump back to original layout, unaligned and unspaced.
  12. Now hit the OK button.
  13. The unaligned and unspaced items now jump down the page and are Aligned Middle to the spread.

It is step 10, Grouping the items before hitting the OK button to close the Alignment panel.

Let me know if you need further explanation.

Lynn

Align Group bug 091919__01.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__02.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__03.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__04.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__05.jpg

Seems logical to me as you didn't commit to your aligning when you were grouping.
Since you grouped during the process,my guess is that it has become one object and the program sees the spread as the selection bounds,but I could be wrong.
If you want to group, do it upfront and then select items within the group and then align the objects.
Or group the the objects after the aligning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

No, it behaves erroneously, as described. The problem is that the grouping action Ctrl+G does not behave correcly while the Align window is open. If you close the Align window and then press Ctrl+G, the objects are grouped. Also, the alignment steps performed while the Alignment windos is open, are not correcly tracked in Undo history (you just get back to the starting position and cannot undo one by one the align operations performed). Odd alignments happen, as described in the post, if you continue aligning after the Ctrl+G "grouping".

Actually what the app seems to do, it first cancels all performed alignments when pressing Ctrl+G and then groups the objects. If you continue aligning, it aligns the group in relation to page boundaries (even if "selected boundaries" is the active alignment option, but this seems to be intentional). 

Hi all,

I was unable to replicate the object jumping down the page when you press OK. However, as @haakoo described, this is the expected behaviour. You have not applied the transform, so adding a new operation while the flyout is opened will just cancel and return to the original position. 

Thanks,
Gabe. 

What is the purpose of the Ok button, if the transformation (alignments) are applied if you just click outside of the Alignment window? This is not a modal window so one does not think that what is shown on the page (actual alignments) are just previews. And in fact, they are not. This is bad UI design.

EDIT: I mean, clicking the alignment buttons already applies the changes. Clicking Undo cancels all actions performed so there is purpose for that button. But what is the purpose of the Ok button (just closing the window).

While the dialogue is still opened, the transform is just a preview. If you click outside or press OK, that applies the transform. Doing any other operation while the transform panel is opened will not apply the changes. It's not a bug throgh.

However, I will put an improvement in and see what our devs say about this. 

13 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Doing any other operation while the transform panel is opened will not apply the changes.

I think that it is more accurate to say that pressing Cancel button or Escape key are the only methods of canceling the operation that has already been applied.

EDIT: In addition to using any shortcut key (like pressing Ctrl+G for grouping).

It is of course also partly a question of where you come: InDesign users are accustomed to using alignment panel that operates without needing to click Ok to apply alignments, and each click in the alignment button is recorded in the Undo history. I think this is more intuitive. It would be another thing if alignments really were just previews, and would not be applied unless Ok button is clickd or Enter is really pressed.

I feel that the program should allow me to group during the alignment stage, as I have selected the alignments I want. 

What it is doing is rather crazy and goes not account for what the user is doing. The program is doing
- Strange undo without telling me
- move your objects back to where they were in the beginning
- grouping the items (as I asked for while alignining)
- taking that grouped set and for a reason never selected, middle aligning to the spread my grouped but unaligned elements

If the system is going to ignore the alignment I am selecting and make grouping the priority, yet the alignment window stay open and active, should there not be some warning that you can't group while aligning, or automatic closure of the alignment window upon the cntrl-G?

How can the middle align to spread come into play when it was never a part of the game.

Feels very buggy to me.

Additionally, on another note, why do I have to select the OK button when I am done aligning?

How about hitting Return to close that box? I can select the OK button or just select some random place on the canvas to close, but not the okay button.

Requires a hand to mouse movement that is necessary.

Same question goes to a spread setup. Enter your width, tab to height, then have to select OK. How about Enter width and Tab to height then just hit enter? I am already on the keyboard tabbing and typing numbers.

I look at this not as a bug, but as a needed improvement to the program.

That panel flies out of the toolbar the same way the color picker does when you click on one of the color wells, but it behaves completely differently.  It does not have the appearance of a dialog box and should not behave like one.

I agree that the changes should simply be applied right away and the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons should disappear - particularly considering that "OK" is not a verb and thus violates Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for push buttons.

If it is felt that the "cancel" behavior is needed for some reason, then it should be renamed to "Revert" or "Undo", and the "OK" button should still go away.

46 minutes ago, Lynn Bantley said:

How can the middle align to spread come into play when it was never a part of the game.

I think that what it actually does (after you have pressed Ctrl+G to group), it first cancels that alignments performed, then groups the objects, but when you subsequently close the flyout just clicking outside of the flyout (without clciking Cancel or Ok), it actually applies the default vertical aignment option, which could be aligning to top of the page edge, or bottom, depending what has been done last, and now that you have a group, silently applies alignment in relation to page edges.

In many ways, this is an odd mix of modal and non-modal controls. In a non-modal control you should not need to use Ok/Apply button if the alignment controls already perform an action, and cancel should be done by going back with the Undo history. In a modal control, all transformations with actual objects should be previews, which should automatically be canceled, if the user does not actually "Apply" the changes. Simply going away should not be allowed as some kind of an indeterminate "Ok", as it is now, and if it is, then the flyout should either be "pre-emptive" and disallow conflicting shortcuts (like grouping), OR, be aware and acknowledge that the user can e.g. group the objects in the middle of the alignment operation. We do not need Apple to know that ;-)

Just checked and default alignment is set to Selection Bounds for both H and V.

So the final alignment I am seeing is not even applicable as Spread was never selected...almost like changing the color of one of the elements for some random reason.

I agree with your OK button and modal descriptions.

1 minute ago, Lynn Bantley said:

So the final alignment I am seeing is not even applicable as Spread was never selected...almost like changing the color of one of the elements for some random reason.

I don't mind that being possible but it should ideally be indicated somehow. It has always been a kind of a nuisance in InDesign that you need to change to page edge alignment when you have a grouped or single object selected as that is basically an obvious choice.

And one other thing - aligning an element to the center is not working well, either.

I often have to move left-right-left-right for several times until finally that green light flashes. 

Finding the center line up/down is easy. 

Please fix that sluggish left/right align center function - which is also the much more important one.

6 hours ago, World View said:

I often have to move left-right-left-right for several times until finally that green light flashes.

Do you mean reference point according to which objects are aligned to? I would like to see Affinity apps to have simiar thing as InDesign or Illustrator, where the Control key (or Alt key, in Illustrator) lets you pick the object (amongst selected objects) that is used as a reference point when aligning objects. In Affinity Publisher you can achieve something like this by selecting "First selected" or "Last selected" as an alignment option.

But other than that, I have not noticed problems with being able to center align objects (in relation to center point of selection, page/spread edges, or margins).