You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Align & Group problem

Hello,

Happens in both Publisher 1.7.2.471, and Publisher BETA 1.7.3.475. Windows 10. Dell 7530 Precision laptop.

Have come across a bug in my workflow when aligning and grouping the aligned items. I have attached 5 images to show the steps and results.

Here is a step by step to reproduce:

1. New document. Place 3 objects on the canvas.
  2. Select all three items
  3. Select the Alignment button at top middle of screen (above ruler)
  4. In the Align Horizontally section, select Selection Bounds
  5. Select Space Horizontally
  6. In the Align Vertically section, select Selection Bounds
  7. Select Align Middle
  8. Don't hit the OK button yet.
  9. Items are now aligned and spaced as expected.
  10. On the keyboard, group those items using Control-G
  11. Items jump back to original layout, unaligned and unspaced.
  12. Now hit the OK button.
  13. The unaligned and unspaced items now jump down the page and are Aligned Middle to the spread.

It is step 10, Grouping the items before hitting the OK button to close the Alignment panel.

Let me know if you need further explanation.

Lynn

Align Group bug 091919__01.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__02.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__03.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__04.jpg

Align Group bug 091919__05.jpg

• Staff

Hi all,

I was unable to replicate the object jumping down the page when you press OK. However, as @haakoo described, this is the expected behaviour. You have not applied the transform, so adding a new operation while the flyout is opened will just cancel and return to the original position. 

Thanks,
Gabe. 

• Staff

While the dialogue is still opened, the transform is just a preview. If you click outside or press OK, that applies the transform. Doing any other operation while the transform panel is opened will not apply the changes. It's not a bug throgh.

However, I will put an improvement in and see what our devs say about this. 

I feel that the program should allow me to group during the alignment stage, as I have selected the alignments I want. 

What it is doing is rather crazy and goes not account for what the user is doing. The program is doing
- Strange undo without telling me
- move your objects back to where they were in the beginning
- grouping the items (as I asked for while alignining)
- taking that grouped set and for a reason never selected, middle aligning to the spread my grouped but unaligned elements

If the system is going to ignore the alignment I am selecting and make grouping the priority, yet the alignment window stay open and active, should there not be some warning that you can't group while aligning, or automatic closure of the alignment window upon the cntrl-G?

How can the middle align to spread come into play when it was never a part of the game.

Feels very buggy to me.

Additionally, on another note, why do I have to select the OK button when I am done aligning?

How about hitting Return to close that box? I can select the OK button or just select some random place on the canvas to close, but not the okay button.

Requires a hand to mouse movement that is necessary.

Same question goes to a spread setup. Enter your width, tab to height, then have to select OK. How about Enter width and Tab to height then just hit enter? I am already on the keyboard tabbing and typing numbers.

I look at this not as a bug, but as a needed improvement to the program.

That panel flies out of the toolbar the same way the color picker does when you click on one of the color wells, but it behaves completely differently.  It does not have the appearance of a dialog box and should not behave like one.

I agree that the changes should simply be applied right away and the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons should disappear - particularly considering that "OK" is not a verb and thus violates Apple's Human Interface Guidelines for push buttons.

If it is felt that the "cancel" behavior is needed for some reason, then it should be renamed to "Revert" or "Undo", and the "OK" button should still go away.

Just checked and default alignment is set to Selection Bounds for both H and V.

So the final alignment I am seeing is not even applicable as Spread was never selected...almost like changing the color of one of the elements for some random reason.

I agree with your OK button and modal descriptions.

And one other thing - aligning an element to the center is not working well, either.

I often have to move left-right-left-right for several times until finally that green light flashes. 

Finding the center line up/down is easy. 

Please fix that sluggish left/right align center function - which is also the much more important one.