You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop Persona react very extreme

Patryk

Hey guys!

I just want to boost a whole bunch of travel pics and figured out that the latest version of AP had some changes in the RAW develop engine. 

If I just increase the contrast by e.g. 5% it looks like I have increased the levers by 75% ! 

If I switch to Apple RAW Engine from Serif Labs I lose all the Lens corrections and the adjustments are still to extreme from contrast. 

Is this now working as intended or is it a bug?

RAW file comes from Panasonic G9

Kindly awaiting your reply.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-19 um 22.00.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-19 um 22.01.06.png

• Staff

Hey Patryk,

I grabbed a G9 raw sample from the internet and I'm not quite seeing this much change. I'd say when I increase the contrast by 5% it looks about right but yours definitely looks a bit stronger. Any chance you can attach the raw file so I can check 1.6 and 1.7 to see how much it may have changed?

9 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Patryk,

I grabbed a G9 raw sample from the internet and I'm not quite seeing this much change. I'd say when I increase the contrast by 5% it looks about right but yours definitely looks a bit stronger. Any chance you can attach the raw file so I can check 1.6 and 1.7 to see how much it may have changed?

Yeah it feels much stronger than with 1.7.0 ... I've attached you the file from the screenshot

P1062556.RW2

On 9/23/2019 at 11:34 AM, MEB said:

Hi Patryk,
Is it possible you might had the RAW output format set to 16bit in the Develop Assistant (menu View > Assistant Manager...) in the older Affinity Photo version and it's now set to 32bit in the new one?

Actually I didn't change the setting. If I switch to 16 bit the contrast effect is more like I am used to. 

Do I lose any positive effect when I use 16 bit instead of 32bit output format?

• Staff
12 hours ago, Patryk said:

Do I lose any positive effect when I use 16 bit instead of 32bit output format?

Not really but it can depend on what you're doing. 16 bit is usually recommended for general day-to-day photo editing and if you do not plan on working with HDR merging or require increased precision for gradient work, I would stick with 16 bit.

It's easy to think that because 32 is a bigger value than 16, it automatically means it is better and it is what I should be working in. This is just not true unless you're working in the above-mentioned edge cases.