You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export Images more saturated than in Affinity Software

Hi, I have posted this question before, but didnt'reach an answer.. I have over 100 images that needs to be edited asap, so this needs a fix NOW xd I would in other words be very happy for any help I can get :7_sweat_smile:

So, this problem started out some time ago now, it is that when I am editing a .NEF photo in Affinity photo and then export it, the exported .jpeg image is SUPER saturated compared to the image I see in affinity photo.... Why??? I understand it has to do with some colour settings, but I didnt change anything for this problem to arise, it just did :/ Perhaps some update?? Anyhow, what should I fix? xd I have tried and mess areound with the ICC profiles and nothing is working. Yes the exported image is on some settings more like the image I see in affinity photo, but it is by no means the exact same image that I see on the software...

So the problem is: When I am editing .NEF pictures (Nikons version of Canons .RAW) in Affinity photo and exporting them as a .jpeg image, the .jpeg image is much more saturated than what I intended/edited it to be....

I attached 2 examples of this... Please help :61_sob: <3 

(As I said, I have messed around with the colour settings to try to fix it, but with no sucess...)

1107820131_SATURATIONAFFINITYPROBLEM2.thumb.JPG.10a359614d14163573fbe532f52b1958.JPG

TOO SATURATEEED.png

May I suggest you add a link in the post to your prior discussions? That may save anyone trying to help you from reinventing any particular wheel.

Not having that info and given that the images actually look the same to me here on the post... my first thought is about profiles (image, conversions, monitor). Have you gone down that road yet?

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

55 minutes ago, tiger01vincent said:

@Brad Brighton Oh what? You dont see a differance in the saturation on the green back foliage on the bird picture? Thats odd... Well no I have not gone down the road of monitor settings!! :D And that is the previous discussion link )

On a second pass (and digging out the macOS Color Meter), yes, I can see a difference in the foliage -- the JPG is a little muddier. I would expect that since you're 16-bit RGB inside Photo (see: RGBA/16 near the top in your screenshot of the bird -- though you're using RGBA/8 for the ant... are you intentionally changing these and if so, do you understand how and why?) and probably exporting to something other than that for the JPG.

Has anyone pointed you to this yet? https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/ClrProfiles.html?title=Color management

EDIT: Looking at your previous thread, yes, you're already being walked down the color profile road. It's just that no one other than Serif has jumped in yet to help and the forum can be quite busy at times.

EDIT 2: Just realized the link was for Designer -- similarly, here's the Photo link: https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Clr/ClrProfiles.html?title=Color management

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

1 minute ago, tiger01vincent said:

I am not a pro, sooooo dont really know what all that means lol. But ye, I probably changed that 16 and 8 bit thingy in an attempt to fix the problem probably haha xd

I will have a read through that link! Thanks!

Ok; the layman's summary of what you're about to learn:

• different color systems have different colors that can be shown (RGB, CMYK, etc)
  • different devices have different abilities to show color regardless of the mathematical color identifier (various monitors, printers, etc)
  • applying and when necessary, converting, between the profiles helps you get the closest match from one device to another (and from one file format to another)
  • improper applying of profile (or applying when conversion is necessary) is a dominant (though not exclusively the only possible) reason for the kinds of mismatch you see

5 minutes ago, tiger01vincent said:

Ok, well that much is understandable... But what do I change to fix it tho? Is it when I click export in the File tab and them more File>Export>more and then select a new ICC profile? Is that where it is wrong? Or is it somewhere else?

That's a sane start but there are other variables that could complicate the situation, such as what you've changed along the way in the native APh files, both intentionally and "randomly" attempting to solve the problem.

If you want to try setting the export profile to sRGB first and testing your satisfaction with the result, that's a good first step. If subsequent steps are needed, you'll be best served by posting the afphoto file(s) here so forum denizens have an opportunity to look a little more deeply into what your current state of affairs is.

11 minutes ago, tiger01vincent said:

Alrighty, will do, but I first need to know what APh files are and afphoto file(s) are xd

APh is shorthand for the Affinity Photo app (as opposed to, for examples, AD for Affinity Designer or APub for Affinity Publisher).

afphoto = the extension file that you save directly from Affinity Photo, as opposed to the JPG (for example) that you get from exporting.

Now, after your example, there are still other factors like what profile your monitor is set to, whether exporting as sRGB is sufficient, and of course, what you intend to do with these image files once they're exported. If you're going to incorporate them into print, for example, the conversation changes again -- not in tone (you still need to do the same basic behaviors) but in detail (the specific settings may change).

So, what is the purpose you're processing these images for?

(And don't forget to post an example file that you saved out of Affinity Photo -- the one with the afphoto extension -- and tell us what computer, OS, version of monitor, etc you're running)

Aaaah, ok thanks! Well, my internet is 0.7 Mbt/s upload speed soooooo, Uploading a 200mb file would take some time sadly... If it like VERY necessairy?

I am running Windows 10 and a BenQ monitor. I will use the pictures for posting on instagram, but when I have printed on my printer before, they looked ok to me... But the export is mainly for instagram, tho I mean, when I edit the picture in APh, I wanna be able to export it, and view it on my screen exactly how it looked in APh haha, thats the goal here :P 

Fear not @tiger01vincent, this is because Microsoft Windows is made by clowns. Affinity Photo is colour managed - Windows Picture Viewer is not. Can you believe it? Why the Hell do they (Microsoft) not use settings from their own operating system. Much of Windows is not colour managed. The only internet browser I know of that is totally (!!!) color managed is Opera.

Look at these two representations of the same image. Left Affinity Photo showing the picture that is shown totally wrong to the right in Microsofts viewer. The roses are waaaay too saturated etc. etc.

image.thumb.png.996586749d8d56838e8a660eeabab980.png

My guess is that you have a monitor profile set up in Windows and perhaps a wide gamut monitor? If you do have a correctly configured profile, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher will use the monitor profile. You should also be able to see the image correctly in Chrome.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

18 minutes ago, tiger01vincent said:

Aaaah, ok thanks! Well, my internet is 0.7 Mbt/s upload speed soooooo, Uploading a 200mb file would take some time sadly... If it like VERY necessairy?

I am running Windows 10 and a BenQ monitor. I will use the pictures for posting on instagram, but when I have printed on my printer before, they looked ok to me... But the export is mainly for instagram, tho I mean, when I edit the picture in APh, I wanna be able to export it, and view it on my screen exactly how it looked in APh haha, thats the goal here :P 

Is posting the image necessary? Not strictly; someone may be able to play a 20,000 question guessing game about what might be wrong and stumble across the right combination, but that's a low-percentage option for success. The higher likelihood is that by looking at the file and doing an export using your file, where the difference lies can be quickly identified and help you in a more concrete fashion get to the results you're desiring.

Posting to IG means that the details you're talking about are unlikely to matter, but that is definitely only a personal opinion, and as they are your photos, yours is the only opinion that truly matters.

At this point without a representative file, there's less of a chance that someone will be able to help.

EDIT: Or maybe someone will recognize the specific scenario and dive in. :-D  

14 minutes ago, Jowday said:

My guess is that you have a monitor profile set up in Windows and perhaps a wide gamut monitor? If you do have a correctly configured profile, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher will use the monitor profile. 

Most likely it is a wide gamut monitor, it is a 144Hz BenQ XL2411 monitor that I use mostly for gaming. But perhaps not, I dont know :P. How do I check if I have a windows monitor profile set up? I have NVIDIA display settings, that I know how to get to... But not the windows stuff you talked about :P

9 minutes ago, tiger01vincent said:

Most likely it is a wide gamut monitor, it is a 144Hz BenQ XL2411 monitor that I use mostly for gaming. But perhaps not, I dont know :P. How do I check if I have a windows monitor profile set up? I have NVIDIA display settings, that I know how to get to... But not the windows stuff you talked about :P

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-configure-correct-color-profile-your-monitor-windows-10

Don't change anything - it is just to guide you to the colour settings. 

I am not sure you have a wide gamut monitor - but pretty sure the driver or something else installed a monitor profile. Everything is cool then - except you need a picture viewer that supports your monitor profile.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff

@tiger01vincent, Jowday is correct here, I can see from your other forum thread you're using a custom BenQ Colour Profile in Affinity Photo, which isn't in use in Windows Picture viewer, hence you're seeing a difference in colour.

You can either change your colour profile through your OS & in Affinity Photo to be sRGB, so that images in Picture viewer appear the same, or alternatively leave your colour settings as-is and download an image viewer that supports your profile, as Jowday has recommended :) 
_____
Edited for clarity.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you so much everyone! I have learned a ton and finally understand what is wrong here. I downloaded the program you @haakoo Reccomended, and it now shows the correct colour when exported!

The image is a comparison with the new software and windows native one, so crazy windows does not support all icc profiles...

Yeyyy saturation ICC fix.png

7 hours ago, tiger01vincent said:

Thank you so much everyone! I have learned a ton and finally understand what is wrong here. I downloaded the program you @haakoo Reccomended, and it now shows the correct colour when exported!

The image is a comparison with the new software and windows native one, so crazy windows does not support all icc profiles...

Yeyyy saturation ICC fix.png

Tack själv :)