You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Object transform when moved

puntorosso

In the video you provided, at 12 seconds in, you've finished the move. Then you move your cursor and something happens that moves that objectand changes the bounding box. Did you do something there that isn't showing up in the video?

Also, in the video, the group is on a master page. It's not in the file you provided. Are you saying that's not relevant? That you get the same behavior on your original file and on the one you posted?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It seems not to be an issue saved within in your sample .afpub. I am not able to get any "automatic" move as in your video. I can move the group or single layers and scale the group without getting your unwanted moves. (also I don't understand what @Pauls means with "I take it the objects split apart for you ". – To me in your file nothing spits apart.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

There is definitely something odd going on. I can replicate the behaviour but it seems totally random. When I initially open the file and simply move the label group around, everything is as expected and as @thomaso is experiencing but then, out of the blue, the weirdness happens.

Sometimes just moving the label around as a group results in the shadow bounding boxes parting company with the label bounding box but visually the elements remain where they should be, again there is no real consistency to this!

labels.thumb.jpg.c0d5c83b07842a6e49b334bbb478eff0.jpg

If you copy the label group and paste it in the same document and then move the label groups around things get weird again.

and to add to the fun, if you copy the label group to a new document things get even weirder...

another oddity happens when you cut the label from the first page and paste it to the master page. Once pasted, selecting any of the layers shows the Edit Live Projection button in the context toolbar! Clicking it doesn't do anything which is expected as this is an Affinity Photo feature rather than a Publisher one so unsure why that is appearing.

828664130_liveprojection.thumb.jpg.36200b9fc6ff56d8e05ba62b8680bfed.jpg

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Reminds a little to a (temporary) memory issue. What if you reboot your computer?

I also don't get an "Edit Live" option with a copy placed on the master page in your document. Possibly because I'm using beta (no Studio Link).

1460701710_objectgroupmove2.jpg.e50a58b9cc2f86a489dbe51833185ec0.jpg

Edit: p.s.: I just opened in retail v.1.7.2. and don't get the issues, too.

Thanks Hangman! I thought I was going crazy!

And to add even more madness, multiply this behavior for all objects I have in my documents, with multiple Master pages :o

I modify something in a Master page and suddenly everything move in the others, all the shadows spread in different positions.....

I 'll never be done with this work, :( it's like a barrel with 4 holes, and only one cork.....

@thomaso: rebooting doesn't help.

Hi puntorosso,

Can I ask where you sourced the wooden sign and the label graphics? Did you create them or are they downloaded from a stock site?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344

20 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Reminds a little to a (temporary) memory issue. What if you reboot your computer?

I also don't get an "Edit Live" option with a copy placed on the master page in your document. Possibly because I'm using beta (no Studio Link).

@thomaso I'm inclined to agree, the issue (for me at least) doesn't happen immediately. If I reboot and open the file it is fine for quite sometime and likewise a cut/paste to the master doesn't result in the Edit Live Projection button appearing. It seems the issue is only happening after either Publisher or the file itself has been open for sometime though as yet I've not been able to determine for how long and whether you need to interect with file to replicate the problem.

3 hours ago, puntorosso said:

The graphics come from a Photoshop stock file

https://graphicriver.net/item/columbus-day-party-poster-vol2/17767670

I cannot upload the full original in this forum, because of Envato's Terms.

I think this is one for the dev team to take a look at, my guess is, as @thomaso has suggested, a possible memory issue with Publisher or an issue with the source graphic.

11 minutes ago, Hangman said:

a possible memory issue with Publisher

But then it must be influenced by these specific objects or .afpub (otherwise you, Hangman, would not get the issue)

@puntorosso, What if you place the 3 single layer objects from scratch into a new .afpub and group them afterwards? (not using another app then afpub in all steps)

26 minutes ago, puntorosso said:

multiply this behavior for all objects I have in my documents,

You mean it occurs in all .afpubs which have multiple masters? – If yes I'd reinstall afpub, (reset might not be enough because it won't touch all involved system files).

I was going to suggest rasterising each layer in the group individually (even though they are already pixel layers) to see if it makes any difference. I tried it and it seems to fix the problem...

@thomaso Copying the single layers is almost the same procedure I did to extract the single objects from the original Photoshop file.
It's also difficult to say if that helps or not as, also noted by @Hangman, the bug happens randomly.

The bug appears in this specific document and for all the objects copyed/pasted from it.
I cannot speak of other documents, as this is my first one in Publisher. (Used a lot  Designer before)

Rasterizing the full group, of course makes a difference, as there's only one object to position. 
This is also how I am going to finish this work, but this limit the editing and layout's possibilities.

Additionally to the file I have already uploaded, I would be happy to share the original psd with the dev team, if needed.

1 hour ago, puntorosso said:

Copying the single layers is almost the same procedure I did to extract the single objects from the original Photoshop file.
(...) Rasterizing (...) is also how I am going to finish this work, but this limit the editing and layout's possibilities.

Ah, I haven't been aware that you filled your .afpub via copy/paste. As reported in various topics, for some users Pasting results in unexpected behavior, often related to the app where it was copied from.

So, to avoid the workaround of rasterizing  you could try first another way to get the data into the .afpub:
1. Export/save each single layer from PSD as a file format you like. If possible don't use Affinity for that.
2. Place (not paste) the 3 resulting files.
3. Arrange and group them in .afpub.

I simply right-clicked each layer in the label group individually (in Publisher) and selected rasterise. This maintains the layer structure of the group should you need to edit the graphic in some way and this process alone appears (initially at least, I've not tested in detail) to resolve the issues I was experiencing, namely.

1. Cut and paste to the master showing the Edit Live Projection button when individual layers in the group are selected
  2. Copying and pasting the graphic to a new document no longer displays a garbled graphic (as per the third video in my original post)
  3. I (to date) no longer have the issue with layer elements or their respective bounding boxes randomly jumping to different locations on the page

@puntorosso you could give @thomaso's workaround a try and also try the steps above to see if either or both overcome the issues you are experiencing and if one or both do you can then decide which is more efficient for you from a workflow perspective.

@thomaso so this sounds like a known Publisher bug then? Does it only affect APub or AD and AP as well?

19 minutes ago, Hangman said:

sounds like a known Publisher bug then? Does it only affect APub or AD and AP as well?

I haven't read about this 'move' occurrence before, there were other issues with copy/paste, often with text and/or crashes in AfPub. (I read rarely the AD bug forum)