You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I used to use Photoshop until it became a monthly fee, and now I use and love Affinity.

I had a question though on plugins for Photoshop, specifically Mr Retro plugins. I have Mr. Retro plugins, and while Affinity can locate and recognize them as plugins, they never actually work when I try to run a filter in the plugin. It always just freezes or crashes Affinity. I was wondering if this is something in the works for Affinity in the future, to be able to use these efficiently. 

Thank you very much for your help.

• Staff

Hi ScottP,

Welcome to the forums.

Plugin development is always ongoing so hopefully more will be supported as updates continue to be released.  Looking at the Mister Retro site, they don't list as being compatible with Affinity Photo and I can't recall this make being one that we know has been tested. Even though the plugins are detected, the issue may be the way Affinity passes the file to the plugin or the way the plugin applies effects. It may be worth trying different colour modes RGB 8Bit/16Bit as some plugins may only work with a particular colour mode.

• Staff

Hi ScottP,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What Mister Retro plugins are you using? I remember testing a few on a Mac for an older of Affinity Photo version (1.5). Most of them didn't work (see here for details - select Mister Retro on the left column -click on the link's name for details on the right). I don't believe this has changed but I can take a look again.

Thank you,

I use Permanent Press 2, and it is literally the only thing I sometimes (regrettably) go back to Photoshop for aside from the real brush media. Everything else is faster and more efficient in Affinity Photo for me. Thank you for your help.

• Staff

Hi ScottP,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. That was one of the few I tried that didn't work/was not compatible with Affinity Photo 1.5 (on Mac) at the time. I haven't tried the latest version of the  Permanent Press 2 plugin with the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.7.2) but it's possible it still doesn't work/it's still not compatible. I will check/confirm this. What OS are you running - macOS or Windows?

• 8 months later...

Just researching this now and I see this post is about a year old. I have three Mr. Retro plugins and can't seem to make any of them work. It does recognize and I see plugin on the lower right of my screen under history. Just curious if any progress has been made since the original post. 

Thanks Affinity for a kick ass product(s).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just resurrecting this post. :) I'm getting so close to cancelling my Photoshop monthly subscription (Illustrator and InDesign are both long gone, replaced by Designer and Publisher) but I still occasionally use the Mister Retro "Machine Wash" and "Permanent Press" plug-ins. (On MacOS.) I remember on Twitter awhile back there was some interest expressed on both sides (Serif and Mister Retro) at making this work, but it doesn't seem like things have moved along much. I dunno how active Mister Retro is as a developer anymore, but this would be a great connection for both companies, I'd think.

Thanks for the work guys :) 

Have you tried linking to the plugins using the latest Beta version, for some reason plugins like Eye Candy will work in the beta version but not in the retail version.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 months later...

Now I'm very interested in getting this Permanent Press 2 -plugin. Any news on this being compatible with Affinity Photo? As far as I can tell, there is no trial version so I have to spend the money without knowing if I can even use it.

On the Mister Retro website, they say that it's compatible with Gimp. Should I install Gimp and use it as the host for this plugin?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update of my trials.

I contacted Mister Retro and they said that their Permanent Press 2 -plugin should work with Affinity. They suggested that I downloaded the Machine Wash Deluxe-plugin, as this is a free download, and see how it looks. The two mentioned plugins look and work the same way.

I downloaded the demo of Machine Wash Deluxe and got it in Affinity.

Everytime I open the plugin, error messages appear saying that the needed textures aren't available. I thought they were included in the demo and I can see I have them in the folder, but the plugin doesn't load them.

Also, the first couple of times I launched the plugin, after a few clicks, the plugin would crash together with Affinity.

Now, after testing for a few days, the plugin seems to hold up longer and only crashes Affinity sporadically.

The plugin looks good, only the folders and names in the default settings (presets) are very small, almost unreadable.
I guess that is just one part that doesn't scale correctly.
I work with a resolution of 3840x2160 and a Windows-scale of 150%.

So I guess that the Permanent Press 2 plugin should work in Affinity, but I'm still a bit hesitant to buy it with said remarks.

Error001.jpg

Scr005.jpg

Scr004.jpg

2 hours ago, Hylpass said:

The plugin looks good, only the folders and names in the default settings (presets) are very small, almost unreadable.

That's not Affinity's fault, tho. The plugin has a custom UI, which uses this horribly small fonts.

BTW, the plugin worked just fine over here (Win 10 system) since installation. No crashes caused by it.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Just tried the demo of Machine Wash deluxe - tried installing it directly to the Affinity Photo plugins folder but Affinity doesn't even recognise the plugin to add it to the menu. (installing it to a different folder that telling AP to find it via prefences make sno difference) - Windows 10 Affinity Photo version 1.9.2.1035.

Maybe it only (semi) works with macs?

eta: I've restarted the software (ap) & and already allowed unknown plugins in the settings.

Edited by Jenna Appleseed

On 5/22/2021 at 4:58 PM, Hylpass said:

Andy05, 

That's great, but what plugin do you have and works fine? Machine Wash Deluxe or Permanent Press 2?

Sorry, should have been more specific. I installed and tested the free Machine Wash version with the standard parameters given by the installer. Didn't change anything and it worked instantly within Affinity Photo.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)