You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a Vehicle Text Banner (best process please)

I just bought Designer for my Mac as I loved it on iPad but a bit fiddly. I love how it complements Publisher and Photo on the laptop.

Anyway, my project is creating a file that the vehicle sign-writing company can use to put charity organisation name and logo on the side of a van.

So really I'm looking for a suggestion: Do I create the file in Designer at exactly the size required (about 1.2 metres) or can I create a smaller file that they'll be able to enlarge?

Thanks.

Martin

You can create the file to actual scale. I assume you are exporting to a PDF?

There is nothing stopping you from producing a scaled down version and the exporting to the required size.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

To add to what firstdefence said above, it’s probably best to ask the company that will be making the sign. They will know exactly what they need to get the best results.
P.S. You didn’t say how the sign was going to be created – hand-painted, sprayed, sticker, etc. - or whether the sign was going to include rasters or not. All of these things will have different requirements.

At only 1.2 meters (about 47.25"), I would create it at 100% size and export to PDF. Typically, I have never gone above 150 dpi for any bitmap-type effects (if you'll have anything such as drop shadows, etc.)

However, do speak with the print establishment about their desired dpi and submission format.

If you like to layout in a scaled version you just need to consider the resolution for rasterized content and scale that, too.

For instance if the print file should have 150 dpi and you layout in scale 1:10 then the resolution in your layout must be 1500 dpi – because it gets reduced on print with 1000% down to 150 dpi.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

You can create the file to actual scale. I assume you are exporting to a PDF?

There is nothing stopping you from producing a scaled down version and the exporting to the required size.

Thank you.

Yes, PDF is one of the options I have been given by the form that do the vehicle livery.

Not sure how I would go about creating a scaled down version and then exporting actual size. Turns out the size is actually 2,200mm x 300mm.

This is not something I normally do but I offered to do the layout for a local charity organisation.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

To add to what firstdefence said above, it’s probably best to ask the company that will be making the sign. They will know exactly what they need to get the best results.
P.S. You didn’t say how the sign was going to be created – hand-painted, sprayed, sticker, etc. - or whether the sign was going to include rasters or not. All of these things will have different requirements.

It is basic lettering that will be printed and stuck on by the livery company.

Turns out the size is 2,200mm x 300mm and excuse my lack of knowledge but I don't even know what 'rasters' are. I know how to create things exact pixel sizes for the web and social media and this is not something I normally do but I offered to do the layout for a local charity organisation.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

At only 1.2 meters (about 47.25"), I would create it at 100% size and export to PDF. Typically, I have never gone above 150 dpi for any bitmap-type effects (if you'll have anything such as drop shadows, etc.)

However, do speak with the print establishment about their desired dpi and submission format.

Turns out the size is actually 2,200mm x 300mm. The sign people that do the vehicle livery said they need an EPS, AI or PDF but didn't mention DPI. I know how to make a PDF in Affinity Designer / Publisher so I'll stick with what I know.

This is not something I normally do but I offered to do the layout for a local charity organisation.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

If you like to layout in a scaled version you just need to consider the resolution for rasterized content and scale that, too.

For instance if the print file should have 150 dpi and you layout in scale 1:10 then the resolution in your layout must be 1500 dpi – because it gets reduced on print with 1000% down to 150 dpi.

Phew! That went right over my head I'm afraid. I normally work with photos or things created in PhotoShop where everything is designed in a size by pixels for the web or social media and this (creating a file for a vehicle livery) is not something I normally do but I offered to do the layout for a local charity organisation.

Two more hints come to my mind (which unexperienceds may forget, naturally):

– For the layout try to use a 2-dimensional technical line drawing (from the car's manufacturer or any website) rather than a photo. That helps to avoid misplaced elements which easily happen due to camera lens angle or non-parallel camera position. For the client's easier imagination you may place a copy of the layout on a photo.

– "It is basic lettering that will be printed (...)": Then you might consider cut-out plot for the text + print for rasterized elements.
Advantages: The cut foil looks clearer and of higher quality, leaving the car color visible in its background and therefore more freedom of design compared to a solid rectangle.
For the cut-out you can either let them use foil with specified colors – or print your complete design with any color you like and cut-out the text afterwards. With colored foil the color won't fade, different to printed color over time, especially in day-/sunlight like outdoors.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

All good advice Thomas but I think the premise here is K.I.S.S. and cost focused.

@MartinKoss Raster is a term used to define an image based on pixels.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions