HST

Publisher opens linked files as embedded

It's very nice to edit embedded files in Publisher with only a double-click or with clicking the "edit document" button. But if you do that with an linked file, it opens a embedded copy you editing... OK, so far so good. But if you edit the original-file, all changes will be overwritten. Please fix that bug, that the linked original file will open by double-click or editing.

Tanks for your great software!

Thomas

Hi @HST,

I'm not sure I follow you on this, sorry. 

When you place a linked file, clicking on "Edit image" will open the original image. Any changes you make will be

• Saved Flatten (overwriting the original file), and you will be prompted that the resource has changed and you need to update it

or

• Saved As - and you will need to replace the image with the one you saved as. 

Modifying the file externally will require you to update the resource using the Resource Manager. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

I think @HST is describing the behavior of linked documents (.afpub, .afphoto, .afdesign, PDF, etc.) which today are actually embedded but which still act like linked documents in some ways:

• You can be notified when the external file is changed, or Publisher can automatically update the local copy
  • You can edit them in Publisher by double-clicking or using Edit document;
  • You don't need to (and can't) Save them manually. Changes are saved automatically into the copy in the .afpub file when you close the editing tab.

However, unlike what happens with linked image files (PNG, TIFF, JPG), when you close the editing tab the changes are not saved back to the original file. That means that the only record of those changes to the linked document files is in the .afpub file where you made the changes. If the originals are changed externally, and if Publisher is set to automatically update linked files when the originals are modified, those changes made locally are lost.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

Hi there!

Yes, it is like @walt.farrell say. Linked images worked fine with embedding and editing, but files like another *.afpub files etc. will open, but not the linked file, only an embedded copy/preview? of the original file. It should not be so hard to fix.

Thomas

Sorry, I was under the impression you were mentioning images. My bad. We are aware of that behaviour when using native project files. I will bump the issue on our end :)