You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've made a macro for frequency separation (my first macro attempt in this software, I'm an Affinity noob).

In one of the steps I'm dragging a layer over to the Apply Image palette.

When I reset the image and apply the macro everything is hunky dory.

The problem occurs when I run the macro on a different image. When I do this the macro is using the original layer from the image within I created the macro, for the Apply Image step!

I haven't used the Load Source From File, I just dragged the layer according to instructions displayed in the palette and the layers are named the same (they are named by the macro)

There seems to be a problemen with Affinity Photo in this case, or am I just missing something obvious? 

I can't come up with a workaround for dragging the layer, I'm afraid...

Fsep.afmacro

The initial image (layer) you use for the Apply Image step is always hardcoded into the macro, I don't think there is a workaround for this

You could try splitting the macro into 2 separate macros

E.g.

1. Run the first one up to where you Apply Image

2. Apply Image manually

3. Run the second macro which does the steps after you Apply Image

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you Carl for verifying the problem.

It seems a bit odd that the macro can't reference the layer, especially since it can be done in so many other ways when creating macros.

It is also hard to imagine a situation in which it would be useful to hardcode an image into the macro.

I have considered splitting it up into two macros, it wouldn't be a problem if it was only me who would be using it, but now some of my friends (who I have talked into trying Affinity) will be using it too...so not the perfect solution. :-)

I assume there's a wish list somewhere (I'm new to Affinity), I'll try to find it...

Thanks again for your input!

It's the same with recording a copy & paste operation, whatever you copy is hardcoded into the maco and pasted onto other images when the macro is rerun, which is not always what you want to happen.

The macros, in general, are long overdue some more love from Serif

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, unni said:

Hope this will be addressed. Due to this I am not able to create macros with apply image. Apply image is a very important
feature and it's use should not be limited like this !

This topic is in the Questions part of the forum. If you're hoping for an application change you should be posting in the Feature Requests & Suggestions part of the forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/24/2021 at 4:10 PM, unni said:

Hope this will be addressed. Due to this I am not able to create macros with apply image. Apply image is a very important
feature and it's use should not be limited like this !

As a workaround, you can use channels mixer, with the advantage of 

• non-destructive workflows
  • saving presets for easy reuse

it requires a transformation of the formula used in apply image, as you need to use one of the regular blend modes.

If you have an example, we can try to find a matching set of channel mixer adjustment for source and rest layers.

The layers need to put atop each other in the layer stack. Using placed / linked images makes this easy.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault

I use Apply Image for sharpening. The image is duplicated, top layer named HI,bottom layer made LO.
LO layer is then blurred with bilateral blur. Then the HI layer is selected with blue band. Bring the Apply image dialog box
from Filters button on top. Click and drag the lower LO layer into the Apply image box. On releasing the mouse, the equations
buttons will be enabled. Click and bring the tick mark in the Equations button. Then make entries as below:

DR=((DR-SR)/2)+0.5
DG= ((DG-SG)/2)+0.5
DB= ((DB-SB)/2)+0.5
DA=SA

Now the screen will go grey color with fine outlines showing the edges(high frequency component).
Press Apply button.
Now delete the LO layer.
The HI layer will be grey now. Have one image layer below. Change the HI layer to vivid light/Linear light.
The image will now look sharper. If needed, add a curves layer (clipped) to the HI layer to further enhance
the sharpness, use masks to mask out areas not required to be sharpened etc, as usual.

This is like a frequency separation but in manual mode. I noted that the bilateral blur in frequency separation
does not produce enough blur when compared to the one under Filters (top) menu. Otherwise, frequency
separation itself could have been used for this purpose, something like an action.

I wonder how this can be achieved with channel mixer.

Best regards,
Unni

You can have the same function in a non-destructive workflow.

(updated version with drastically simplified workflow, ready for copy & paste of one group with 3 adjustment layers):

• A group of 3 layers
  • from bottom:
    • levels to reduce lightness range from 0-100 to 25-75
    • bilateral blur layer with blend mode "subtract"
    • levels adjustment to increase range back to 0-100
    • group layer set to blend mode "linear light"
  • you can store this as asset, and put it atop the layer where you need it
  • adjust blur settings and levels settings (upper layer) to fine-tune
  • File contains example image to see impact. Zoom in to 100%.

image.png.f42cb57a5e4b6e52409a1c331acfdcfa.png

sharpen by bilateral blur 2.afphoto

Edited by NotMyFault
simplified

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.