You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No curve in the curve adjustement box

Vladimir78

Hi,

1. Are you using the latest release version?
    Yes 1.7.2.471
  2. Can you reproduce it? YES
    (if you cannot then we may struggle to also, making it even harder to fix)
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem? NEW DOC
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)? WIN 10
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). OPEN NEW DOC AND PASTE AN IMAGE FROM THE STOCK
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. NO TABLET
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

image.thumb.png.073163cb7ff2959542c63c985670d97c.png

Hi,

I'm on Win10 Home and the histogram doesn't show up in the Curves-adjustment. But if I check "Marquee" in the Histogram-Panel in the upper right corner, it shows the histogram of that selected part of the image. It also reacts to changes to the curve in almost realtime. Maybe this could be a workaround for this task.
If I apply the curves-adjustment with no selection it shows the histogram immediatly.

@Vladimir78

To be honest, whilst the histogram in the Curves dialogue does show up here, I've not personally been able to see a lot of real value in it, and I tend to ignore it and use the main histogram for reference.

For any of the selections Master/Red/Green/Blue the grey histogram in the curves dialogue appears to show the levels that exist pre any curves adjustment. (I'm not sure exactly how else to describe it).

The histogram in the curves dialogue doesn't update live (or for that matter at all) with any changes actually made by the curves adjustments.

I'm sure it wouldn't have been included just for decoration, so perhaps someone could enlighten me.

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

14 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

For any of the selections Master/Red/Green/Blue the grey histogram in the curves dialogue appears to show the levels that exist pre any curves adjustment. (I'm not sure exactly how else to describe it).

The histogram in the curves dialogue doesn't update live (or for that matter at all) with any changes actually made by the curves adjustments.

The histograms don't update for me, either, in any of the adjustments that include them. I think they're supposed to update. And they're not supposed to be gray.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The histograms don't update for me, either, in any of the adjustments that include them. I think they're supposed to update. And they're not supposed to be gray.

Thanks Walt, I though it might just be a lack of understanding on my part.

I was surprised when I saw the screen shot of the colored ones in A_B_C's post above for the Mac system. I can't remember them ever being anything other than grey on Windows, and I can't remember them ever live updating either.  I'd not been able to find any reference specifically about the curves adjustment histogram in the help file either, so just assumed it was how it was intended to be.

• Staff

The histograms inside the Curves/Levels are not supposed to update when you change them, otherwise, they will show a wrong representation of what you're doing and will be useless. Take this for example:

Untitled.jpg

You would need the histogram to stay as is so you can adjust the black and white level to match the histogram. Otherwise, when you move the black slider to the right, the histogram will move to the left, and you will probably meet halfway in between, which is wrong. You have the main histogram updating so you should be using that as a reference. 

What I have logged with our developers is the gray histogram on Windows, which should be Colour to match the Mac build. 

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

The histograms inside the Curves/Levels are not supposed to update when you change them, otherwise, they will show a wrong representation of what you're doing and will be useless.

Gabriel,

Thanks for that.

I completely understand the reasoning you have given in regards to the histogram in the Level adjustment dialogue, but I don't believe it is applicable to the histogram in the Curves dialogue.

As it is at present, there is nothing I am aware of in the curves adjustment that is being referenced to its histogram.  What is could show if it were live is whether the curves adjustment being applied is resulting in clipping at either end.  

It is of course possible to get that check by reference to the main histogram, which begs the point "what is the use then of having a non updating histogram in the curves dialogue at all?"

@GabrielM

Thanks again for your reply.

Unfortunately I still don't see what use there is having a static histogram in the curves dialogue, but that is just me, and as the main histogram does provide the check I need when using the curves adjustment, I can live with it. :)