You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there at the forum of Affinty,

has someone an idea, how to recreate a certain filter from Photoshop, called "Farbpapier-Collage" in Affinity Photo? I did attach two screenshots from the "original" file and how it appears with the filter.

I also attached a screenshot from the settings-window. The filter in PS makes it kind of look like a vectorshaped image (which it is not - it is still a pixel based image). The filter and the live filter in Affinity, called: Lichter vergroessern / Schatten vergroessern (may be "increase highlights / increase shadows" in English) does it in a certain way similar but not as crisp and abstract as the filter in PS. The reason I am asking, if one day I want to quit PS, this would be so far the only setting, which I cannot make in Affinty Photo as easy I would like to.

Thanks in advance,

Uwe

Mike-Fischer-Test_046.jpg

Mike-Fischer-Test_047.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2019-09-18 um 17.14.48.png

filter in PS.png

filter in Affinty.png

You can use a ‘Posterize’ („Tontrennung“) adjustment to reduce the number of colours, and a ‘Curves’ („Gradationskurven“) adjustment to change the colours.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,

many thanks, I´ll gave it a try but it is so far not what I am looking for. I try further, reducing the colors is a good path, I think, but "Posterize" doesn`t do it as expected. I attach two screenshots. I´ll keep on testing. As of this reading it gets not abstract enough for my goal. I would need to reduce the amount of colours even more. How can I reduce the amount of colours better for my needs?

Kind Regards,

Uwe

affinity-posterize.png

photoshop-farbpapier-collage.png

Export an image as an 8 colour GIF file to reduce the colours (Use the MORE button on the export screen)

Open the GIF file then add a live Dust & Scratches filter and a live Unsharp Mask filter and twiddle with the sliders

Still not as good as the Photoshop filter but an alternative to using Posterise and there may be other ways to further enhance things, trying it this way, which you/others can experiment with.

manfred.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I had a go using Frequency Separation, applying the posterise filter to the low frequency layer and adding a gradient map adjustment to give a more controlled colour choice.

You can also change the opacity of the high frequency layer to give softer detail or add a median blur to the low frequency layer to get a smoother colour blocking.

I reckon we could get a pretty decent macro out of this to simulate PS cutout filter.

Screen-Grab.png

Mike-Fischer-Test_046.jpg.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 month later...

Hey Uwe! Ich bin zwar ein wenig spät dran, will dir aber trotzdem meine Lösung des Filterproblems vorschlagen. Ich verwende Gimp mit G'mic. Wenn ich einen Filter brauche über den AP nicht verfügt, exportiere ich die Datei als PSD. Gimp 2.10 öffnet PSDs mittlerweile ohne zu mucken.;-) Nach dem Einsatz von G'mic, exportiere ich aus Gimp wieder als PSD und bearbeite in AP ganz normal weiter. Vielleicht hilft dir das. G'mic hab ich sogar schon zu PS-Zeiten verwendet, denn die Filter sind einfach der Knaller.:)

Yes, it's a pretty cool add-on for gimp: https://gmic.eu/download.shtml there is also an online version: https://gmicol.greyc.fr/index.php It's a bit hit and miss and the previews are not much like the results but it's still fun to use.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In the filter forge version of cutout, it makes use of various noise filters such as perlin noise and one called techno in conjunction with threshold, it uses threshold to create alpha masks for the colours, then something called multi blend to give you a level of colours.

16 hours ago, Plan_B said:

Hey Uwe! Ich bin zwar ein wenig spät dran, will dir aber trotzdem meine Lösung des Filterproblems vorschlagen. Ich verwende Gimp mit G'mic. Wenn ich einen Filter brauche über den AP nicht verfügt, exportiere ich die Datei als PSD. Gimp 2.10 öffnet PSDs mittlerweile ohne zu mucken.;-) Nach dem Einsatz von G'mic, exportiere ich aus Gimp wieder als PSD und bearbeite in AP ganz normal weiter. Vielleicht hilft dir das. G'mic hab ich sogar schon zu PS-Zeiten verwendet, denn die Filter sind einfach der Knaller.:)

Sieht zuerst ganz gut aus, ich kann vor allem auch aus Capture One direkt ein Bild importieren, brauch also nicht PS oder Gimp oder AP. DerFiler der am nächsten kommt ist wohl "cutout" aber der Effekt "Farbpapier Collage" ist einfach immer noch besser. Cutout bekommt man in AP fast ähnlich hin.

Danke trotzdem,

Uwe

For now, finally I´m afraid, ther´s no way to do that in AP as well as in PS. All workarounds do not lead to the same result. Thanks for getting into this anyway, I really appreciated it. I think this "color reduction" thing is the difficulty here, PS just reduces the color in a cool way and the texture of the image gets reduced quite nice.

As mentioned above, THX and very Kind Regards,

Uwe

2 hours ago, Uwe-R-aus-B said:

For now, finally I´m afraid, ther´s no way to do that in AP as well as in PS. All workarounds do not lead to the same result.

Yup! Unfortunately, you can't reproduce everything 1:1 that PS does. Sometimes I need more than one G'mic filter to come close but it works with a finishing touch of AP. :D Trust me on that.

17 hours ago, Lagarto said:

It have installed it now, it really is a treasure chest.

You're welcome, Lagarto. ;) I really love the G'mic gallery. It's huge! And I'm not giving up hope that one day I can use G'mic as a plug in in AP. :x*sigh*

I do understand there are royalty problems but never say never!B|

• 1 year later...