You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Template causing Publisher to crash

I have a certain third-party template that I occasionally use for publishing layout. When I open it, it asks me to locate certain links -- but before I can answer the question, Publisher crashes, closing completely. It only happens on this template, and (at least according to the provider) only to me.

I am wondering if I need to update Publisher, but apparently I am on the current version.

• Staff

Hi Michael Hopcroft :)

Could you please provide a copy of this file to the following link for me? Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2KTsM1oFIDPFd5I7CRO9

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 9/18/2019 at 8:22 AM, MikeW said:

Have you contacted the originator of this template concerning the links/crash issue?

Yes, he is the one who referred me to the forum. But he has not heard about this happening to anyone else. It could be that it's a very specialized template that not many people use at the moment.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:11 AM, Dan C said:

Hi Michael Hopcroft :)

Could you please provide a copy of this file to the following link for me? Thanks in advance!

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2KTsM1oFIDPFd5I7CRO9

OK.

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I've opened this here with no crashing, so I'm going to need a copy of your crash log to investigate this further.

Are you using Mac or Windows please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Windows 10. And it shouldn't surprise me that you couldn't recreate the issue. The publisher of the template said nobody else was having this problem either.

I am wondering if there has been an update I missed to Publisher. (and although I bought the ap through Microsoft and it installed in Win10, I do not know if I have support through Serif since it doesn't show in my licenses on your end.)

Where would I find the crash log, especially if I'm not entirely sure where the software lives?

Edited by Michael Hopcroft

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that :)

On 9/21/2019 at 2:57 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I am wondering if there has been an update I missed to Publisher.

With Publisher open please go to Help>About and let me know what version number appears here.

I bought the ap through Microsoft and it installed in Win10, I do not know if I have support through Serif since it doesn't show in my licenses on your end

Not to worry, any purchase of our app grants you full support!

Where would I find the crash log, especially if I'm not entirely sure where the software lives?

The crash reports are a little more hidden due to the app being purchased from the Microsoft app store, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to locate these.

These can be found at the following location, please note that the AppData folder is hidden, and you may need to change your Windows Explorer View settings to see this:

C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Packages\Serif.Affinity.Photo_3cqzy0nppv2rt\LocalCache\Roaming\Affinity

• Staff
17 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I am on Version 1.7.2.471. I wonder if that is the current version and updates automatically.

That's correct, this is certainly the latest version!

17 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I thought that was the right directory...

Did you locate any .dmp crash files? if not, these may have been automatically uploaded to our server - however this is anonymous by default so I may not be able to locate it here.

Hello,

I am the creator of the file causing issues to Michael. Since he reported the crash to me, 2 others came forward reporting the same issue. 

The file opens without issues on the computer it was created on. But It does make Affinity Publisher crash on my laptop. I do not know if it's relevant but the file was created on a Windows 7 computer running Version 1.7.2.471 of Affinity Publisher.

I am attaching the .dmp file.

71fd6ba0-a4b6-4601-ad93-c6913abe4f1e.dmp

• Staff

Hi BarkalotDesigns :)

Thanks for the further information, I've opened the template file here on 2 different Windows machines and 1 Mac and I'm yet to be able to replicate the crash - so there's clearly something between my PC and your laptop causing the crashing!

I've logged this with our developers, providing a copy of your template and crash log and I'll respond here in due course with any pertinent information :) 

On 9/23/2019 at 10:08 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

I thought that was the right directory...

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

Did you locate any .dmp crash files? if not, these may have been automatically uploaded to our server - however this is anonymous by default so I may not be able to locate it here.

No, I did not, but then I couldn't find any Serif directories in AppData\Local\Packages. I eventually did, though -- there were quite a few of them in fact. Here is the latest one:

057fc58c-1ac9-4938-8744-919753889784.dmp

• Staff

Many thanks for that Michael!

@BarkalotDesigns - in order for our development team to narrow down the cause of this issue they're requesting a copy of the file with all images/documents embedded rather than linked. Could you please embed all images, save as a new file and then upload this to the following link for me? Many thanks in advance :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/joCS5fcqTDdZMoXKliMQ

• Staff

I really appreciate that, thank you.

I've provided all files and crash logs to our developers and will respond here with any pertinent information in due course!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for trying that Michael, I've requested further update on the development log and will respond here ASAP. Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.