You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection Aliasing - AP - Windows 10

Hey all.  I've attached an image to illustrate what I'm experiencing in AP.  I'm curious if there's a setting I'm missing somewhere that will address the very noticeable aliasing I see in wand selections.  I've tried a handful of tests and can't seem to get rid of it.  I'm expecting to see a smooth anti-aliased edge on my selection.  I've tried various 'tolerance' settings from 0 to N# to no avail.  Aliasing persists.

Any tips?

Latest production version of AP btw.

2019-09-18_7-41-33.png

I have the same problem when using the Freehand tool. In two modes, Freehand and Magnetic, even with antialiasing enabled.

Freehand.png

You can use vector objects  as masks, or vector objects in ERASER blending mode, as masks.

• Staff

When working with raster images you will always get the staircase or jaggies on edges you can smooth these by turning off the force pixel alignment and this will soften edges with gradient pixels. To have clean brush strokes and selection you will need to work with vector images using the Affinity Designer program

5 minutes ago, DWright said:

When working with raster images you will always get the staircase or jaggies on edges you can smooth these by turning off the force pixel alignment and this will soften edges with gradient pixels. To have clean brush strokes and selection you will need to work with vector images using the Affinity Designer program

Hmm, ok.  Designer isn't relevant to the OP issue.  I'll try what you suggest.  Another workflow option is smoothing edges in the finalization stage of a painting which works "ok" but isn't really the ideal or suggested way to go about things as this can be destructive to the final product and is not time efficient at all.

Totally not poking at Affinity here but I can tell you that this issue is significantly less in your competitors app.  I tested it side by side.  It's apparent that the algorithm in use by Affinity for edge processing could use a good looking at.  Just a suggestion.  It's one of those things that once you see it you can't unsee it and it leaves a sour impression in terms of quality.  I know when I realized it, I was actually surprised because Affinity is really knocking it out of the park with just about everything else.  I've actually come to discover that other users have raised this issue as far back as 2015.  If there are other apps on the market that have succeeded in this area, I'm unsure as to why Affinity hasn't done the same.

I'm really enjoying all of the Affinity apps for the record.  I became a convert some time ago. :)

On 9/18/2019 at 9:46 AM, Tobias.VFX said:

I'm curious if there's a setting I'm missing somewhere that will address the very noticeable aliasing I see in wand selections. 

The Flood Select Tool (a.k.a. "magic wand") is a pixel level selection tool. IOW, it selects whole pixels. If you want a smooth, anti-aliased selection, you can use the Refine button to open the Refine Selection window, or adjust feathering from the Selection menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

The Flood Select Tool (a.k.a. "magic wand") is a pixel level selection tool. IOW, it selects whole pixels. If you want a smooth, anti-aliased selection, you can use the Refine button to open the Refine Selection window, or adjust feathering from the Selection menu.

Thank you.  That totally works fine for sure.  Extra steps but it does what's needed.  I was hoping to avoid further processing steps and have it just work.  I still hope the devs consider really looking at it.  After all, we don't have this issue on other apps doing the same thing.