You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create a comic from a photo

Hi,

tried a lot of things, watched a lot of tutorials, but nowhere is my goal adressed. I want to create a comic style from a photo, to be more specific I want to create a comic style like the avatar of @MEB.

image.png.40d4ae5c019433490adaab9a7d8990ff.png 

Can anyone, maybe MEB himself, help me and provide me with the workflow for this project.

Thanks in advance

Don Tango

I believe Miguel’s avatar is part of a vector drawing. If you want to create a cartoon effect from a photo, please see the following post:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, Don Tango,

Try this approach for something like the above. Increase brightness and add a little contrast. Then use a small value for Dust & Scratches.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 4 weeks later...

Sure, here's the .afphoto document and the pencil drawing effect macro I used in the document.

Pencil Drawing Effect.afmacros

rain_effect_03.afphoto

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Hi everyone,

has anyone experience with vector magic? I use to online version to create, of course, vectorized files from jpg files. Creation and download are pretty straight forward, but when I open the SVG File it shows a bitmap structure. The pic above shows what vector magic shows me online (left) vs. the downloaded SVG file in affinity (right).

Did I anything wrong or what must I do different.

Bildschirmfoto.jpg

Looks like Affinity Photo has rasterised the exported SVG.

How did you open the SVG?

I've just exported an SVG from Vector Magic and opened in Affinity Photo, The curves are intact but the fill is pixelated, opening the same file in Affinity designer gives the expected result for a vectored file.

Affinity designer.
1635995746_ScreenShot2019-10-22at14_22_18.png.aa3cc07042f76089670f55bd23a301b9.png

Affinity Photo.
1564934143_ScreenShot2019-10-22at14_24_38.png.d316c1cfab43825243b2832890e0b521.png

You have to remember, Affinity Photo is primarily a Raster/Pixel based editor, not a vector app.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi,

tried all (both) ways I know to open the SVG file in affinity (drag & drop and open) both ended the same pixelated result. 

Tried the same with an EPS file , ended pixelated. But I could open this EPS file with preview and there everything was smooth (vectorized).

Yes I work with affinity photo.

Thanks, Don Tango

P.S: Oh, one last question before I convince myself to invest in affinity designer. Are you able to simply change the color of one area?

1 minute ago, Don Tango said:

P.S: Oh, one last question before I convince myself to invest in affinity designer. Are you able to simply change the color of one area?

1978981670_ScreenShot2019-10-22at14_51_09.png.554db8390779345410c2b762ab6fd41d.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Don Tango said:

I assume, this was easy for you.

Thanks, Don Tango

Just the select the layer you want to change the colour of and use the colour panel to do so, so yes, very easy.

You can also export from Vector Magic and have shapes grouped by colour to make it easier to change colours en masse.