You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing text color using eyedropper sample

Hello,

I cannot seem to find the answer to this anywhere. I'm coming from a PS background, so that's probably why I'm confused...

Okay, so I'm putting some text on an image. I want to change the color of the text by sampling a color of an object in the background.

One method I've tried is choosing the text, then choosing Color Overlay from the Layer Effects menu. I click on the color swatch which opens up the area where you can choose RGB sliders, etc.

There's also an eyedropper in that window. I thought I could simply choose the eyedropper in that window, and then sample an area of the photo and the swatch would change. But nothing happens.

Can someone please direct me to how to do this? I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing. I'm just experimenting with colors and outlines, etc. and sometimes like to sample a color that's in the image and use that for my text color. 

Thank you so much,
Chris

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 12.01.56 AM.jpg

When you've selected the colour sample you want, click on the coloured circle to the right of the eyedropper icon.

Another option is to use the Colour Picker Tool, this will change the colour of the text layer selected directly.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you for your reply.

I am stumped. Please forgive me for the over-detailed explanation. But I'm new at Affinity Photo, coming from PS.

So I tried selecting the layer that has the text Treetek. Then, I went to the tools menu on the left of my screen and selected the color picker. I sampled some color from one of the darker buildings in the background. I see the circular swatch change color to reflect what I chose, however, the text remains unchanged and orange.

Then I tried just selecting the layer with the text "Treetek" and clicked on FX at the bottom of the layers panel. I chose Color Overlay. The color of the swatch in that is orange to reflect the current color of the text Treetek. I click the orange swatch. I see RGB Slider, another circular orange swatch and an eye dropper. I click the eyedropper in that box, and randomly choose from the display of colors below the RGB sliders and it does indeed change the color of the text.

But I'm trying to sample a color from the background cityscape and cannot get that to work.

Thanks again for your help!

chris

• 2 years later...

Is there an answer to this, as I have this problem too?

I am used to using the colour picker, however I cannot get the colour I want to be the text colour. It seems I can only choose the text colour by clicking on the box on the context bar.

Edit: The colour picker within the text colour box does not seem to have any effect either. I have resorted to using black and reducing opacity to get a consistent grey colour. 

A further edit to say First Defence was absolutely correct.... I had not done that last step. Just to clarify in case other people need more detail. To change the text colour...

1. select the text

2. click within the text colour box

3. click and hold on the colour picker and navigate to the colour you want

4. click on the circle next to the colour picker (within the text colour box) 

Which application are you using and on which OS?
Which Colour Picker are you using – a screenshot with an arrow pointing to it would be useful?
What sort of text layer do you have? Artistic Text or Frame Text?
Where are you ‘picking’ the colour from? An image, or something else on the screen?
How are you applying the colour that was ‘picked’?

Note: It’s not normally advisable to use transparency to get a grey colour.

Many thanks @GarryP for your reply - I was desperate 🙂 It has taken me such a long time, but I did get there in the end and I posted a few more details by editing my post above, just in case anyone else is as stupid as me. 

I was expecting that when I used the colour picker it would choose that colour without me having to then click on the circle next to the eyedropper. Silly me! 

1 hour ago, IsItMe said:

I was expecting that when I used the colour picker it would choose that colour without me having to then click on the circle next to the eyedropper.

If you use the Color Picker Tool, that is what happens. If you use the eye dropper in the Color panel (or other places where it appears), the operation is different,

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just to add, you need to distinguish between the Color Picker Tool in the Tools bar
https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_clrpicker.html

and Color Picker in the Color panel (and more).
https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Panels/clrPanel.html

I think that Serif, by improperly naming tools, confuses users.
Why is the naming of a tool with a different function the same?

image.png.340872667550ff6706fb8aada649e6f8.png

In the text, the naming is a bit different,
image.png.dc5681c479a94ef20706dc16bbb3c2a2.png
but why can't it be called for example Color Sampler?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Pšenda said:

I think that Serif, by improperly naming tools, confuses users.
Why is the naming of a tool with a different function the same?

I think why it is this way is originally there was no Color Picker Tool (the one on the Tool bar); that got added in one of the early updates (maybe 1.5 or 1.6?). They should have changed the references to the dropper in the panels to something else when it was added but neglected to do that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7