You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong inpainting-fill shortcut?

Hi, on Affinity Photo 1.7.2 on Mac, the default keyboard shortcut for "fill with primary color" is set to option-backspace, but when I use that key combination, it does the inpaint instead, even though I don't have a shortcut set for inpaint. If I set a different shortcut for inpaint, option-backspace still does the inpaint. If I set a different shortcut for "fill with primary" (such as cmd-backspace), that shortcut does work. So, as a workaround I've set "fill with primary color" to cmd-backspace for now.

Is there somewhere else that the keyboard shortcuts might be coming from?

The default keyboard shortcuts are listed in the Keyboard shortcuts help topic. Note that by default, there is no Edit > Fill With Primary Color shortcut & the default for Edit > Inpaint is option-backspace.

1136442185_Wditshortcuts.jpg.36ab3ff54a5374891074b42765e5028d.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, _fluffy said:

@R C-R I'm going based on the keyboard shortcuts that were configured in the keyboard shortcuts preferences. And changing those, again, didn't actually  make them change.

My main point is the factory defaults are those listed in the "Keyboard shortcuts" help topic, not the ones for whatever reason you see in the preference. (The factory defaults are also what you would get if you click the "Reset" button.)

But that said, I wonder if you are maybe confusing the Edit Menu > Inpaint function with the Inpainting Tool. There is no default keyboard shortcut for the Inpainting Tool. You can assign one to it, but like the other tool keyboard shortcuts it must be a single key shortcut -- modifier keys are not allowed with tool shortcuts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R No, I'm not confusing it. When I press option-backspace, it does the edit>inpaint action, regardless of what I have my keyboard shortcut set to. And I'm trying to fill with my primary color!

Later today I'll record a screen capture so you can see what I'm talking about.

Okay, so I reset my keyboard shortcuts and option-backspace was indeed defaulting to "inpaint."

However, removing that shortcut and setting one for "fill with primary color" continued to just try to inpaint instead.

Here are my keyboard shortcuts: note the 'fill with primary color' being option-backspace and 'inpaint' being empty:

552132328_ScreenShot2019-09-18at9_22_00AM.thumb.png.d9d776c7819b82ac4584361860cf9f27.png

Here is what happened when I pressed option-backspace after wanding a selection:

1744219134_ScreenShot2019-09-18at9_23_44AM.thumb.png.8f1532e61b64f94f086b0780547b4ed2.png1520928282_ScreenShot2019-09-18at9_23_56AM.thumb.png.b0c53640967ddb5dcf388979e6f81009.png

39 minutes ago, _fluffy said:

However, removing that shortcut and setting one for "fill with primary color" continued to just try to inpaint instead.

Not that it is of any help with resolving your issue, but when I remove the Edit > Inpaint shortcut, I get a system beep when I press CMD+Delete Option-Delete indicating that there is no shortcut assigned to that key combination. If I assign that shortcut to Edit > Fill With Primary (or any other function) it works as expected.

Edited by R C-R
Dane Bramage

Affinity Photo 

cmd-delete, or option-delete? I seem to be able to bind any other shortcut key and it works; option-delete seems to be hardcoded to edit>inpaint, at least on version 1.7.2 for Mac.

I mean as a workaround I had opted to use cmd-delete instead and that was working, I'd just rather not have this way of accidentally doing an inpaint fill that takes forever and can't be canceled based on my muscle memory of these keyboard shortcuts from years of using Photoshop.

9 minutes ago, _fluffy said:

cmd-delete, or option-delete?

Sorry, I meant Option-Delete -- fixed now.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, _fluffy said:

What version are you on?

Everything is in my sig, below my posts:

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Affinity Photo 

28 minutes ago, _fluffy said:

Hmm, weird that we're seeing such different behavior then.

It is possible there is something amiss in your Affinity Photo user settings that a reset to the defaults would correct, but since this removes all custom settings, & it is a PITA to backup/export them all, I consider it a method of last resort.

Affinity Photo 

It’s been doing this ever since I first installed Affinity Photo and its only now that I got around to reporting it (I bought the program hoping that it would support its future development knowing full well that it wasn’t quite ready for my use at the time). I also haven’t made any other changes to my settings. 

7 minutes ago, _fluffy said:

I also haven’t made any other changes to my settings. 

It is still possible something is amiss in the AP user settings.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, _fluffy said:

Nope, did a full master reset, then changed the keyboard shortcuts, and option-backspace is still doing inpaint.

OK. Is there any chance you have some third party add on installed that might somehow interfere with setting or using keyboard shortcuts?

Affinity Photo 

The only thing I can think of is Magnet, but that makes no difference if I quit/disable it. I also use Karabiner to remap some of my keys but, again, no difference made. And none of them have anything to do with keyboard shortcuts in other apps.

Also, my edit menu shows the shortcuts having been remapped:

image.thumb.png.70b0f91d32e59d25d254f8da7970bdfe.png

• 4 months later...

I have the exact same issue with Affinity Photo 1.7.3 on Mac. Trying to customize the keyboard shortcut for "Fill with Primary Color" to Photoshop's Default opt+backspace it seems that will not be overwritten.

No matter what I do opt+backspace activates Inpaint. Please fix :-)

affinity photo fill primary.png

• 1 month later...

Inpaint brush tool works fine, however using the selection tools and the Edit > Inpaint does not.  I am using version 1.8.1 on Mac.  However I found if I quit the application completely and go back in it is now working.

Edited by bobsully
Change in behavior

• 1 year later...

Not to necro a random thread, but as the issue is identical I wanted to reply. I've made sure to unbind 'Inpaint' and setup the fills similar to Photoshop (alt/ctrl + Backspace). But alt+backspace will not work, and seems like it's still hard-coded to Inpaint. This is on Windows, too, so not exclusive to Mac like the OP.

• 4 months later...

I don't have exactly this issue, but it's similar, possibly related. Context:

- I've never customised shortcuts in Affinity (didn't realise it was possible until diagnosing this issue).

- The Inpaint command has never worked for me using the default shortcut (⌥ + backspace).

- Instead it does "Delete" (you can tell from the history palette).

- I can't find "Delete" in the keyboard shortcuts and Inpaint doesn't indicate a conflict.

- I've tried resetting to Apple defaults and Serif defaults (no difference).

- Anything plus backspace seems to trigger delete.

- Photo 1.10.1 / MacOS 11.3 / Oldish MBP

- British keyboard layout, nothing using backspace under System Prefs / Keyboard / Shortcuts

What does work is changing the shortcut for Inpaint.

1 hour ago, Rondo Lad said:

- The Inpaint command has never worked for me using the default shortcut (⌥ + backspace).

- Instead it does "Delete" (you can tell from the history palette).

Same here. However, I can change the Edit menu Inpaint shortcut to something else that does not include the Delete key, for example CTRL+Shift+I, & that works.

Affinity Photo