You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer doesn't want to start - Win10

On 9/19/2019 at 3:38 AM, Ricardo Zea said:

Thanks but that didn't work.

I also noticed in the Task Manager that the AD executable starts to run and then it shuts down.

AD used to work just fine before installing 1.7.2. - I reinstalled version 1.6.5.123 and now I get the message attached:

Screenshot - 9_18_2019 , 9_35_36 PM.png

Any idea what may be causing this then?

They call it support I have another name for it.
I to have problems Starting the program after an update and this fear to upgrade is with Photo and designer.
 have a look at the things I tried... 

Sometimes installing a beta will let you run the beta, but not the stable version British Humor?

Best regards
Guy Forssman 

2 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Well they have tried to help you,now didn't they?
It must be your system as many other win10 users have no issues running the programs.
Or do you want them to drop by to fix it?

It's nice you're a believer but honestly ...wat a strange remark..

@Forssux Thanks for the link, hopefully one of the things they suggest to you actually works for me. However, my issue isn't having the software to install, it actually installs just fine. My issue is that Designer shuts down as soon as it starts running. Doesn't look like this is something happening to you, is it?

@haakoo It's great that you're a dedicated user and all, but I don't see you helping either Forssux or me here, just scolding at him/her, who is clearly frustrated. I am as well.

And yeah, you know what, if we are paying customers Serif should drop by and help if that was ever a possibility.

On that note, rather than trolling, do you have any valuable pointers on how to fix this issue anyhow?

Do you have any of the third-party software installed that is known to cause issues with the Affinity suite?

A number of people recently have been reporting issues using RivaTuner, for example, but anything on that list can cause odd failures.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Also, are you getting crash reports that you could upload?

Also, if you can look at the Windows Event Viewer, you might find something interesting, as the user in this post did:

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you have any of the third-party software installed that is known to cause issues with the Affinity suite?

A number of people recently have been reporting issues using RivaTuner, for example, but anything on that list can cause odd failures.

HUGE Thanks for providing the links @walt.farrell, very helpful. And in fact, I do have RivaTuner installed since I run MSI Afterburner to monitor my video card.

However, I was able to fix the issue (maybe temporarily) by uninstalling the Windows Update KB451538 rather than dealing with RivaTuner.

Here's are the steps to uninstall a Windows Update:

1. Press Win+I to open Windows Settings.

2. Choose Update & Security.

3. Click the View update history link.

4. Click the Uninstall updates link at the top left.

5. Look for Windows Update KB451538 and uninstall it.

6. Restart Windows.

That did it for me.

I found that fix in the forum that @Forssux shared in which he's having similar issues but with Affinity Photo. Here's the link to that forum again:

Thanks go to @Lee D as well for helping us out albeit only comment in this forum >_<

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: