You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo loses most keyboard shortcuts on round trip with Capture One Pro

DenisNZ

I've recently started using round trip editing from Capture One Pro (12) to Affinity Photo and have found that AP loses most of the keyboard shortcuts after the first photo. Workflow - edit photo in C1 then Edit With AP - C1 creates PDF and passes it off to AP - AP is not open at this point - AP opens and all keyboard shortcuts work. Save PDF and close file but not AP.

Edit another photo in C1, pass it off to AP and most keyboard shortcuts no longer work. The spacebar for switching to the hand tool to move around a zoomed-in photo works but none of the others.

Windows 10 fully updated. C1 fully updated. AP fully updated.

I have this problem on 2 different computers.

• Staff

Hello DenisNZ,

Two of us have tried this on different machines using the Lightroom to Affinity Photo method but we cannot reproduce this.

I wonder if you are experiencing some aftermath of the issue we had with the upgrade to 1.7 regarding shortcuts. On one of the machines you can reproduce this one, could you go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ and rename the 1.0 folder to 1.1 and then launch Affinity. This will perform a safe reset on the app (as we've just backed up your user data) and may resolve the issue for you.

• Staff

Bizarre that it works fine for us. If you have time to write back with your exact mouse clicks and shortcut actions I'd be happy to have another look. I just cannot work out why Affinity would lose its shortcuts (especially if they are still present in the Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts menu).

Hi Chris,

I've done a bit more testing and it is nothing to do with round-tripping between Lightroom and Affinity Photo.

It is all to do with switching between windows with Alt+Tab keyboard shortcut.

If I have Photo open and Designer open, both are working with keyboard shortcuts - but if I switch between them several times using Alt+Tab then both Photo and Designer lose their keyboard shortcuts.

Seems that the Affinity programs don't like the way Windows switches between windows using that keyboard shortcut. If you switch between them using mouse click on the taskbar icons, or directly on the windows themselves (when not full screen) then keyboard shortcuts are unaffected.

Follow up to my previous post - seems you don't need to swap windows at all.

Have only Affinity Photo open, with a photo to zoom into, and no other windows running.

Alt+Tab appears to do nothing because there are no other windows to switch to - but it kills most of the keyboard shortcuts in AP.

Hi,

I could reproduce. I think that the problem can be narrowed down to the Alt key handling in AP. Normally, when hitting the Alt key, the application's main menu switches to a special mode where it expects a character key to be hit. If this character corresponds to an underlined letter in the currently active menu, the corresponding command is executed. In any application, using alt-tab enables this special state in the application that currently has the focus but then, Windows tries to show the other running apps, allowing the user to select one to switch to. If the user returns to the application that had the focus when alt-tab was hit, the special "Alt" mode is then disabled. This doesn't seem to be the case in AP. So, the program is still expecting a character key to be hit and all keyboard shortcuts are disabled. Hitting the Alt key releases the special mode and things then works as usual.

My two cents...

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• Staff
On 9/23/2019 at 9:39 AM, Samoreen said:

Hi,

I could reproduce. I think that the problem can be narrowed down to the Alt key handling in AP. Normally, when hitting the Alt key, the application's main menu switches to a special mode where it expects a character key to be hit. If this character corresponds to an underlined letter in the currently active menu, the corresponding command is executed. In any application, using alt-tab enables this special state in the application that currently has the focus but then, Windows tries to show the other running apps, allowing the user to select one to switch to. If the user returns to the application that had the focus when alt-tab was hit, the special "Alt" mode is then disabled. This doesn't seem to be the case in AP. So, the program is still expecting a character key to be hit and all keyboard shortcuts are disabled. Hitting the Alt key releases the special mode and things then works as usual.

My two cents...

I think you are absolutely spot on—thank you.

@DenisNZ and thanks for persevering. I can get this logged now.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Thanks Samoreen for the tips.

Same here, Affinity Photo looses some functionalities after Alt-Tab to any other program.

Move Tool (V) or Color Picker, even if chosen with the mouse in the UI does not respond anymore, and I have to restart Affinity Photo.