You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pressure Sensitivity in Affinity Photo (Win) not working properly

Hi, I just started trying out the software and I can't get pressure sensitivity to work with the brush tool.

I have an Wacom Intuos Pro M and Windows 8.1
I have tried the "force pressure" option and putting size jitter to 100% with Pressure Sensitivity but both yield the same result, a 1px sized brush without tapering no matter how large the original brush is.

affinity_brush_pressure_sensitivity.png

• Staff

Hi looped,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Firstly please make sure you're using the latest version of the Wacom drivers, as there has been some known issues with older driver versions.

Secondly, please uncheck Force Pressure on the Context Toolbar, then open the Brush Editor (More on the context toolbar) and provide a screenshot of your Dynamics tag. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your screenshot looped, I can't see any issue with your brush settings in Affinity. Could you please check the settings in the Wacom driver itself? Specifically the pressure sensitivity settings? 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

18 minutes ago, looped said:

For anyone who has the same trouble; opening up the 'Wacom Desktop Center' program fixes the pressure sensitivity issue (at least it does for me)

Merely opening it? Not making any changes?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
14 hours ago, looped said:

For anyone who has the same trouble; opening up the 'Wacom Desktop Center' program fixes the pressure sensitivity issue (at least it does for me)

This is something our team have replicated and logged with our developers, thanks for letting us know! :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2019 at 7:17 PM, Dan C said:

This is something our team have replicated and logged with our developers, thanks for letting us know! :)

Opening the desktop center (sic) didn't help me - I've never had any pressure response in Designer with variable width stroke (Win 7 Pro, Intuos CTH490) . Wacom drivers are fickle things however,.

brush-pressure.jpg

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

2 hours ago, AndyQ said:

Opening the desktop center (sic) didn't help me - I've never had any pressure response in Designer with variable width stroke (Win 7 Pro, Intuos CTH490) . Wacom drivers are fickle things however,.

Reboot fixed it. Go figure...I guess I should reboot more than once every couple of months...

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 4 months later...
55 minutes ago, wacom said:

hi I have the same problem. tablet pressure is not working. I have the latest wacom drivers works fine in other applications.
did a reboot on my computer and still nothing... any thoughts?

Do you have Windows Ink enabled in Windows and in your Wacom settings?

If not, you'll need to disable the use of Windows Ink in your Affinity Preferences, on the Tools tab. Affinity applications now use Windows Ink by default.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, wacom said:

thanks for your prompt reply Walt. you absolutely nailed it! that was it!!
thanks for helping me out!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

How about this.

I have Windows Ink set to on in my Wacom Tablet properties. Then in AP, I have it unchecked (off), and my pen is working fine that way. I can resize ect, and the pressure sensitivity works too.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

How about this.

I have Windows Ink set to on in my Wacom Tablet properties. Then in AP, I have it unchecked (off), and my pen is working fine that way. I can resize ect, and the pressure sensitivity works too.

Good.

-- Walt
PC:

On 4/11/2020 at 10:35 PM, walt.farrell said:

If not, you'll need to disable the use of Windows Ink in your Affinity Preferences, on the Tools tab. Affinity applications now use Windows Ink by default.

I spent the whole day trying to find a solution to this until now, You solved my problem !!  Thanks a lot !!

7 minutes ago, matterender said:

I spent the whole day trying to find a solution to this until now, You solved my problem !!  Thanks a lot !!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

On 4/11/2020 at 3:35 PM, walt.farrell said:

I was also having problems with brush pressure sensitivity. I enabled Windows Ink, and this fixed the pressure problem BUT when Windows Ink is enabled you cannot use the Alt + Right click shortcut to resize and soften the brush! This is very frustrating. Anyone found a fix for using the Alt+ R Click shortcut when Windows Ink is enabled? 

Thanks.

Edit, I found out that I could disable Windows Ink support in Affinity and this makes everything work again! Preferences>Tool>uncheck Use Windows Ink for Tablet Input

Edited by aiNeander

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, EndyNight69 said:

I have a problem with my pressure sensitivity but I don't have Wacom tablet ( I have tablet Ugee m708 v1 ) and now I don't know what to do.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Have you tried disabling the use of Windows Ink in your Affinity Photo Preferences, in the Tools tab?

image.png.fe8201f9ebcc01035efb4eaf77256e93.png

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Have you tried disabling the use of Windows Ink in your Affinity Photo Preferences, in the Tools tab?

image.png.fe8201f9ebcc01035efb4eaf77256e93.png

Holy shit I had to go to the forum to look for this!

Why would affinity default to something that's almost universally hated by artists in Windows???

1 hour ago, eobet said:

Why would affinity default to something that's almost universally hated by artists in Windows???

From what they've said, using Windows Ink allows better precision in detecting the pen position.

-- Walt
PC: