You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

limit outside canvas (Designer)

Designer 1.7.2 on OSX Mojave

Luckily, recently I stumbled upon "not limit to canvas" in "view modus" menu of Publisher (sorry if I don't have the right English equivalent on those, I see it in German). I was positively surprised and looked for that option in Designer. It is there, but I have yet to find in which situation it is getting available, because until now, its always grayed out and I can not choose it.

Any idea why it stays not usable?

Having the possibility to have objects placed outside for later use or trying things, would be a real big help.

• Staff

Hi Thomahawk,
That option always appears greyed-out for artboard based documents because you can place objects outside the canvas (in the pasteboard) area by design. For non art-board based documents (File > New, with Create Artboard option unticked) you have to untick it to be able to place objects outside the canvas area. So this option only becomes active/available when you work in non-artboard based documents.

Try deleting the artboard layers from a document until there's none - you will see that the option View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas becomes available.

• Staff

No, It means this option is (permanently) enabled for artboard based documents. Have you tried it? create a document with an artboard, draw an object on canvas then drag it entirely to outside the artboard. It should remain visible (unless it crosses the artboard/canvas boundaries - in that case only the part inside the canvas/artboard is visible).