You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when pasting text into a frame text frame

Garytagreg

I'm getting a reproducible crash on publisher with the following steps:

1. create a new document
  2. create an empty frame text frame
  3. copy a block of text several lines long from another app (I've been using the Notes app) that has enough text to not "fit" in the frame
  4. crashes every time

I've attached a sample file with the empty text frame and a file with some random text. if you paste the text from the text file into the frame in the publisher file it crashes immediately.

It also crashes the latest beta at this time (1.7.3 475).

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013). As I've had weird crashes connected with text in designer and photo before, I should also mention that macOS has Japanese as a secondary language installed but that the text being pasted does not have any Japanese text in it.

Hope this helps

Text to paste.txt

Empty frame.afpub

1 hour ago, Garytagreg said:

3. copy a block of text (...) from another app (I've been using the Notes app)

I don't get a crash on copy/paste with your two files, neither with Notes.app nor with Pages.app or Bean. Since there had been issues with copy/paste text in previous betas under certain circumstances only, here some questions that might limit the issue to detect the culprit:

• Does it crash for you only when copying from Notes.app, – or from any text editor app ?
• Does it crash for you if you paste not into an existing frame but simply on a page (and let the frame automatically get created) ?
• Does it not crash if you drag the text frame larger before paste (because you mention < enough text to not "fit" in the frame >) ?
• Does it crash for you only with this specific .afpub (because you delivered it) ?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

8 hours ago, thomaso said:

• Does it crash for you only when copying from Notes.app, – or from any text editor app ?

No, it doesn't seem to matter where the text was copied from or what app (I  just tested it with plain text from TextEdit and it crashed just the same so it doesn't seem to be a rich text issue)

• Does it crash for you if you paste not into an existing frame but simply on a page (and let the frame automatically get created) ?

No. That works as expected, even if the amount of text is "larger" than the automatically created frame.

• Does it not crash if you drag the text frame larger before paste (because you mention < enough text to not "fit" in the frame >) ?

No. If I make a sufficiently large frame beforehand, it doesn't crash.

• Does it crash for you only with this specific .afpub (because you delivered it) ?

No, I just made and attached that file as an simple example without any extra content that crashes every time for me. 

Thanks for the replies, I've answered the questions above and I've attached the crash report.

I had some really wierd crashes with early versions of designer that eventually were found to be due to having Japanese installed as a secondary language on my computer (I live in Japan but I'm not Japanese). I seem to remember that it was crashing a menu somehow, even though I was doing something apparently unrelated. I'm just mentioning this again as it is the main difference in my setup to most folks.

Hope it helps.

Crash Report.txt

Instant crash for me as well, doing what OP did.  This was happening to me for a while (still happening), so I have stopped using Publisher. I also live in Japan and am using a Japanese Macbook Pro, but all in English.

OP, for a workaround, try selecting the text frame with the "Frame Text Tool" and then using FILE> PLACE to place the file of text. It should go in okay.

2 hours ago, Pauls said:

We've just recreated this - looks like something to do with the keyboard input setting

Glad to hear that its getting tracked down :)

Here is what "locale" gives me

LANG=

LC_COLLATE="C"

LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"

LC_MESSAGES="C"

LC_MONETARY="C"

LC_NUMERIC="C"

LC_TIME="C"

LC_ALL=

7 hours ago, BobFossil said:

OP, for a workaround, try selecting the text frame with the "Frame Text Tool" and then using FILE> PLACE to place the file of text. It should go in okay.

My workaround is just to make really big frames before pasting the text, just to ensure it fits.

That works for one offs, but is a bit of a hassle when you don't know how big you need the frame to be (like you have a very large amount of text).  I get the impression that "placing" is best practice for those kind of situations, though.

I will also say I completely uninstalled 1.7.2 and reinstalled in case it was something to do with that an no difference in my two main issues with Publisher at the moment (can't paste text and can't define any kind of paragraph style without crashing).

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BobFossil said:

It's still doing all of this in 1.7.3

I am done with Publisher. Not acceptable. You got my money. Well played.

Few software companies that I have come across since 1986 work as hard as the Affinity team to resolve issues. So give them a chance to find solutions!

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

Nils, it doesn't work for me. It has never worked for me.  This is not some weird minor glitch in a sub sub sub menu in a barely used feature. This is importing or pasting text and changing formatting in a paid desktop publishing program. It is not my job to fund alpha software for developers. I paid because it was released as commercial software. I got pre-alpha software.

All software has bugs, however, for me, this software is literally non-functional.

I respect that, Bob, and understand your frustration. However, I have worked professionally with software costing millions of dollars with major glitches that were never ironed out. I have worked with collegues on the same large Microsoft Word file using the same version of Word on the same network and time and time again seeing the formatting of the whole document messed up because of the software - not the users. I guess my age has taught me to get upset about other things in life...

I have produced some very satisfactory magazines using Affinity Publisher - also experiencing annoying bugs along the way.  But I am still happy!

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue "Crash on paste when using Japanese Keyboard" has been fixed in 1.8.0 [Publisher beta is currently available if you care to check]. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Agreed Ashf, I will try to make sure language skills are taken into account when interviews for the new QA staff take place.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon